major scrub alert. need advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cfosceola, Mar 14, 2003.

1. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

I get this flyer thrown onto my driveway the other day in a bag with rocks in it, and it is this flyer that reads,( i wont use the guys name) xxxxx residential lawn service, customer satisfaction guaranteed, residential equipment for your residential lawn... no heavy equipment that rips apart your lawn...I just had to laugh..next thing i see is he got an account in my neighborhood, someone had just moved in 2 days earlier so i had not had time to stop by and talk to these people. he pulls up to do this yard and low and behold he had nothing but residential equipment, so he didnt "rip apart" their lawn and it looked sooo good, NOT. should i introduce myself to these people, or let this guy ruing their lawn. Im not one to come in and steel a lawn from someone, but this is my neighborhood i live in, and all the lawns look good in here and i also offer discounts to my neighbors. we only have 93 homes in here. I do 5 of them only because most people in here do their own.

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I say wait until he's mowing again and then run over his bag with flyer and rocks in it with the discharge chute pointing directly at him!

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Those kind don't last very long they burn themself out very fast.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LOL @ darryl!

I would go over to them as a neighbor and introduce yourself. When your about to walk away just give them a card and say if you ever need anything concerning landscaping just to give you a call. You can also let them know that you do all the neighbors houses. this way it seeks like your being the good neighbor, not throwing your business on them.

I give all my neighbors discounts also. It's just fair.

:cool:

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people don't want commercial equipment on their lawns. Usually because some bozo DID rip up their lawn, or zoomed around too fast and didn't do a good job. I usually talk to at least one a year. I tell them that it is like anything else, there are people that are good with their machines and take pride in their work, and there are people who aren't so good with the machines.
    Sometimes I get the job, sometimes not.
    Sometimes, people ask me if I do it full-time, and I know they are looking for a part-timer, because they are cheaper. Let them take the part-time, half-fast guy. They deserve each other.
    Crawdad
    payup

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I hope your not losing sleep over it!!!

8. Crawdad
    I find when people are asking about full/part time its because they are tired of having to get somebody new every few months.
    But I know what you mean, the longer you do this the better you get at reading "looking for cheap".

9. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

go over and introduce yourself as a neighbor. welcome them to the neighborhood. one thing will lead to another, give them your card. the next time you are headed home and they are outside fixing what the scrub screwed up ride by and wave. if they have any sense at all they will give you a call. until that time dont worry about it

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what paponte said...Thats the way I would handle it..I would definately introduce myself, and hand them a card.

I am in the same situation, I cut alot of houses in the neighorhood, worked hard to get them also, but there are always lco's trying to get into the neighborhood...Just a fact of life I guess.I have a personal repore with most of them though, so they dont stand a chance...

:D