major scrub problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dden1975, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Dden1975

Dden1975 LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn business for almost 10 years now and over that time I have built up a good customer base, and I receive alot of work by word of mouth. The problem lately has been the massive amounts of scrubs taking work away from me. Living in the SE Michigan area, the state seams unwilling to try to regulate this problem. These arent you sterotypical scrubs, alot of them drive fancy new trucks and have decent commercial equipment. I recently lost a large account to one of these guys who I found out through a friend is a scrub. Appearently this guy does everything to pass himself off as being legit, has business cards, and even made up a fake certificate of insurence. When I try to call someone from the state to turn this guy in, I end of giving up after spending a half hour on the phone only to never hear a real person on the other line. I even tried to go the the local police to say hey this guy is running around with fake documents, and the desk cop gives a smart a** answer with smile on his face saying unless the guy is taking money from people and not doing the work there is basically nothing they can do. Then he said "its not like he is practicing medicine without a license, not any harm going to be done to a few blades of grass. I was pi**ed off and walked out of there. I was wondering if any other LC professionals in SE Michigan have had any similiar experiences.

2. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Scrubs are always going to be a issue to be delt with.
    If you perform a quality service the lost customers will soon discover, your quality is worth the extra money you demand for those services. Once they call you back you have them for life... and a few more dollars a month to boot.

Stick to your guns, quality will prevail, it will just take a little time perhaps.

shawn

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

On and on we go,where we stop nobody knows. Dden 1975 this is a part of the lawn care business. It will not change. we must learn to exept this fact and work our business the best we can.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

oh please ... I call BS ....one call to the state insurance controller or Fed. IRS hot-line n he's done (that is if there is a "he" or the information you "heard is true")

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

to the customers that hire the scrub you get what you pay for . if you are paying for lowball services thats what you will get .

Dden1975
    keep doing a qaulity job and it will all come around in the end

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm sure that can be very frustrating. I don't think the guys who do service in my area like to me too mucheither because I don't carry insurance because I'm only 15 and not old enough. Next season I plan to have my parents get insurance under their names for my business and I will pay for it. It's just now. Does he charge low prices or does he just not carry insurance and charges the same as you. Does he do a good job? I mean, most of my current customers haven't asked for insurance because they know I don't have it yet until I'm driving and stuff.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

This pisses me off. Why is our profession looked down on like that? Yes, i understand that having a medical license means you save lives and can prescribe prescriptions, but in our field, this is how we make a living.....FAIRLY. no license means no practice whether its lawns or lives.

Where about in SE michigan Dden1975? i'm in Genesee county, near Oakland county

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I'd like to know. Where are you? As far as the insurance thing, no need to worry. If he's presenting a false certificate, (and many commercials require the certificate up front) and he ends up with some sort of damage that warrants a claim, then he can be sued not only for the damage, (Lord forbid it be a serious injury to someone) but he can also be sued by the property for fraudulent intent for not being insured. This puts the property owners, and the manage company at great risk for what is known as vicarious liability. Actually, this would be an easy one to solve. If you're really after this guy, check into all his commercials, and contact them and let them know about the risk they are at. They will (or can) check into it themselves. If you can come across one that has already obtained this alleged "false certificate", that would be great. Anyway, it happens all over. It went on yesterday - it's goin' on tonight. Somewhere there's somebody who ain't treatin' somebody right.

9. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Dden1975: First make sure that the guy is actually breaking state law. Does the state regulate the lawn care business other than spraying? I'd bet not. Fact is, what he is doing is unethical, but it may not be a violation of statute unless he doesn't remit taxes. The tax angle may be the only violation, both on a state and federal level. Also, if you know or can find out the insurance company on the cert. of ins. and you are sure it is a fake, call the insurance company claims dept. They all have fraud investigation units. JD

10. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Don't you get a W-2 form for over $500 from a commercial account? It might be hard not to claim income on your taxes.