1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Major Upgrade--Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chilehead, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I will know in about 3 days whether or not one or more of three major bids will be awarded to me or a competitor. Each of these bids are for properties of 17 to 20 acres(of actual grass). Right now I have a 48" Exmark walkbehind and a 21" mower. I know my setup is not going to do the job. I am looking to purchase 2 new machines, but have a dilemma: each property wants 3-5 acres of grass collected due to its location. The rest can be mulched/discharged when cut. So.......do I purchase 2 z-riders with collection systems, or do I purchase(my original plan) a 3-wheeled rider or z-rider and an Exmark Navigator-style mower, or do I buy a 96" mower used on golf roughs and get a Navigator? All my current accounts are high-end residential save 4 commercial properties and I operate solo. I look forward to purchasing my dream rig. Thanks for your input.
  2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

You "lease" 2 bad Boy mowers and find a leasing company. Those mowers are the shizz. 60" for like 6300. Cant beat it with a stick. A leasing company will give you three years to pay. When the lease is up, sell them and you will pocket money.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If you dont mind my asking, What was your Bid ?
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Think twice about buying machines specifically for a one or two accounts that you otherwise don't need. If you lose the account, you may have a machine you can't really use elsewhere. Ebay is full of 72" mowers from just this situation. You might even get a solid season in, but bids this large likely go up for renewal regularly, and if you lose the account(s) you'll want to have a more versatile machine. Mowing large acreage is a distinctly different biz than residentials. Be sure you're up to branching the two segments.

Also, on huge accounts there is a larger chance that you actually underbid and will not WANT the account after you figure out it's a loser in terms of revenue vs effort. Rules of thumb that apply for residentials may not carry over on such a unique mowing situation. Make an estimating error on a 3/4 acre lot and you just suck it up. A similar percentage error on a huge prop and you may be kicking yourself in July.

That is a lot of grass to collect, btw. Got a place to put it all?

And finally, working solo, consider carefully if you want to be on accounts for hours at a time. It's cool out now, but in the summer you might find it nicer to put 1/2 or 3/4 hour in at a jobsite, then scoot off to the next smaller prop. I have had 3 hour jobs before, and even sitting on a mower, it gets to be a drag.