Major victory?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

My local Councilman for my area happens to be my snowplowing customer. I'm at Home Depot today and he calls me up to tell me some of the best new's I've had in years. The city is going to try make it mandatory that lawn cutting/snowplowing guy's are insured (2 million) and will be required to pay $200 for a license. This year has been brutal for every guy and his Uncles brother doing lawn cutting and this makes me as giddy as a schoolgirl :dancing:

2. and that would help how, In Indiana as I'm sureare a lot of other states you are required to have auto insurance and a lot don't.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Man, that's great, in a way. Unfortunate as it's just another expence for the legit guys, though they already have the insurance and $200 isn't that bad. But WHO is really going to enforce it? That's the hard part...

I wish they would do something like that here, but I really don't thin it would put anyone out of business

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Our county has been crying the blues about not having enough money, I wish we had a yearly fee to pay and make everyone have a sign and a number to display to prove you are legit (on your vechile) There are enough Deputies Sherriffs in our county to police it good, if they would that is. If not......the legit LCO could turn them in lol.

wayne

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a good thing to an extent. Enforcement would be a problem here. Insurance companies may take advantage of mandatory insurance as a way to raise prices. I know once the government sets a license fee that the price will raise as they need more money for other projects. I'm not sure about the 2 million dollar mark and how high that would make insurance. I'm part time and need to keep my insurance within reason. No reason us part timers should be considered any less legitimate as long as we have insurance and obey the laws. But it has to be reasonable.

6. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

So they just made it more difficult to be legal. You're right, it's a major victory for people who operate under the table and illegally. Just a few more things they don't have to do to get the cash that everyone else has to.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. City/county "leaders" are morons who want to pry into everyones business and have no idea how to solve any problem.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Our city leaders don't even want to pry into anyone's business, they just don't want to be bothered with anything that makes them have to work.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

What do you mean how would that help? First you would have to show proof of insurance...DUH:hammerhead: that alone would probably eliminate about 1/3 of all the idiot lowballer's/scrubs whatever you want to call them.