Make a Website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by lawnman72, Jun 28, 2007.

1. lawnman72

lawnman72 LawnSite Member

What kind of website builder would you recomend when building a lawn care website?
  2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Depends on what you are looking to do. Yahoo site builder is decent, easy to use, easy to manipulate pages and you don't necessarily have to understand all the website languages... They do have some templates available. They also have another web design program that is supposed to be even easier, though I don't know whether or not the pages would look cheesy!
  3. taaz

taaz LawnSite Member

If you know HTML & CSS, it's best to hand-code your own site in an HTML Editor -- places like Yahoo SiteBuilder aren't the best, because you have no control over the coding ... having valid code ensures that your site displays properly in all browsers.
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on how much you want spent have a custom one made for yourself.
  5. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

If you want a do it yourself look for one that offers both "easy" page creation (looks like Word or something, easy to make tables, make text bold by clicking the "B" button etc. BUT also has the option to click over and use HTML. The HTML is where you can tweak things to get exactly what you want, insert code that will help with search engines etc. although I noticed a recent upgrade to the one we (and many others) use has a simple new way to add the "tags" and such for a page by just filling out a questionnaire type "wizard" for each page.
  6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

yahoo is easy and $10 a month and you can have a decent site you can change anytime you want because you are doing it !!!

you can have your site on the first page of the search engines, even the first listing on the first page.

this isn't to say that other site builders are any less efficient it is just one of the ones I am familiar and the first one that I used - but I don't anymore because it is to expensive for multiple sites.

Two points...

1) if your page isn't on the first page or more importantly the top 5 listings of the search engines for your keywords when someone is looking for your service what good is it no matter how cool it looks or how its coded ?

2) when looking at services ask how many websites they have in the top positions for their clients then all you have to do is a search and see where the websites come in the search engines.

there is enough information in the past threads to do it yourself with a investment of your time and then when you want to add material your not paying someone all the time.
  7. taaz

taaz LawnSite Member

That isn't true at all -- Yahoo Sitebuilder doesn't give you "full control" over your entire code, making it difficult to validate your site per W3C standards ... and they, nor any other SE, guarantees your site to be the 1st listing on the 1st page!

I've been a Webmaster for over 13 yrs and have created 100's of sites -- there's alot of behind-the-scenes stuff you have to do in order to achieve the 1st position on the 1st page ... even after accomplishing that, there's no guarantee of staying there; I've seen many popular sites bounce all over in the SE's.
  8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

If he has some one design a site for him he needs to find someone to do seo for him,so he should ask for some example from the person doing the site for him. Plenty of people design really nice sites but unless you have the link you would never find them doing a search because their past the third page of a search.

BUT if he does it himself he can get his site on the first page of a search engine search for any keyword / keyword phrase involving lawn mowing or lawn care for his geographic area. And he can do it with Yahoo !

lawnman72 you can do it yourself and you can get to number 1 or 2 in 2 to 6 months and stay there depending how much effort you put into it ( after you get your site up maybe an hour a week).
  9. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

SEO isn't THAT big of a thing but it is more than most people can do with a site builder. Some do it yourself site builders let you switch to html and with those and the knowledge you can do it.
    Personally I find yahoo to be a limited program and have talked to several dissatisfied users who thought they would be good because of the brand name, but that name was for a search engine, they don't have that good a reputation as a host.
    Having got some people on the first page with hours of work that can be the case but remember this: It's all about the search term you want. Pick a term like "lawn care" and it will take a TON of work for a seasoned professional and regular work to keep you there, but "lawn care Podunk Junction MS" isn't nearly as hard. That's how the scams that guarantee a 1st page listing for $899 work, their guarantee doesn't for an obscure and detailed term so when you want your money back they can say "we got you page one if you just search for Dallas Lawncare Central Texas"
    But you can do it easier (or get someone) for terms people may likely search for to find you.

BUT let me share a story using Google. I had one client who I spent hours on getting & keeping them on page one for their most desired term and they paid dearly for it.
    Then I had another site of many I built for a normal "serving one area" sealcoating contractor. Narrowed it down for sealcoating terms in their service area and did OK as part of just the design. Then one day I look on page 1 of Google under the very broad term "sealcoating" and THERE THEY ARE at #3...and I had done NO work to their site in eight or nine months and that was a couple of little things unrelated to anything Google should catch, over a year & a half since any text work.
    So I watched. 1 month later they were at the bottom of page one, when I last checked after about 3 months they were on page 4 mid-page. Still never touched it.
    So you can never REALLY know what the search engines will do no matter what YOU or any firm does. A web designer can probably do more than you but if you have a site builder that will let you coordinate tags with content and insert a site map you can do OK for your area. For broad terms you would have to have someone work on it all the time to be consistent.
  10. taaz

taaz LawnSite Member

No -- designing a site and doing SEO are 2 different animals ... only a brand new site will show up in the SE's in the #1 position BRIEFLY -- respectfully, please don't tell people they can get to #1 or #2 in 6 months and stay there ... IMO, you don't know what you're talking about -- BTW; if you're so knowledgeable, where's your "claim-to-fame" site?