make more $$$ Trimming Palms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, Jun 27, 2003.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I had an idea today while I was trimming a client's sable palms. I live in FL where we mow year round, but only every week 7 months of the year. In the winter I was thinking of marketing a palm trimming service. This would help me fill the empty days that I am not mowing in the winter. It would also help me get in good with the potential customer. It will help me get the customer's confidence in my work, and I am sure I will be able to sell some yearly lawn maintenance contracts.

My question to you is this: How much do you guys charge for trimming an average size (15-20ft) palm tree? I charged the customer today by the hour, but 99% of customers would die if they knew my hourly rate. I was thinking about $10-15 dollars per palm. Tell me what you think, or don't think!

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here they get $20 to 25 per palm and that's just to read them, not sure about trimming them.:D

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I did them for that rate years ago, but there isn't a whole lot of money doing them for that. The debris left over, even from a small palm is staggering. It doesn't take much to load a trailer up :eek: Not to mention it is a habitat for every known species of pest. You name it, roaches, bees, wasps, fire ants, snakes and many you can't identify :D

Think about your pricing as you are getting bitten by something, hit in the head with fronds, and sawdust in your face. I think you will come to the conclusion that is a hard earned ten bucks. We do a lot less now, but make more off of them. Think about it this way. There aren't a whole lot of people who want to mess with them, and if the customer calls a tree company, it ain't gonna be cheap. I personally will not touch one for less than $30 (Sabal). We do have some customers that we add this service into their monthly price. Also, there is no average palm tree. For every 15-20 footer on a customers property, there is likely one that is 25 feet. They are gonna want those done too.

If you decide to do it, get yourself a good hardhat with a gaurd on the front and some safety glasses or goggles :) We have two Echo Aggressor tree trimmers that are perfect for this. Unfotuneatlely they quit making them some time ago. Blades aren't cheap and they go through them at a fast rate, but they are quick at doing what they do.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Queens $15- $20
    Sabal $20 - up
    Canary $75 - up
    Washingtonias $20 - up

It really depends on how bad they are and how often they are needed. And how tall.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge 15 to 20 per palm for anything that requires a latter. Am in NWS Florida and palms are pretty much done after November time frame

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

you can have all of my palms at that rate i wont touch them for under 40 each

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For those of us who have never touched one, what is involved in trimming a palm??? How often???

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...how much more if you include tarrot cards:D

9. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

KEITH hit it right, I could not have said it better.
    I charge $25-30 for small palms,12-15 foot and thats if they are in the front yard. If I have to drag the frons from the back yard I'll add 15 to the job. I don't do very many. In my area there's a guy that does a bangup job on palms for $20 each no matter how high. No me!
    :blob3:

10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We sub all our tree work out and most charge us $35 per tree. If there a number of trees in one location, say 15 or 20 then we usually get them done for $30 each. Our quote to customers this year is $40 per tree and thats what we bill per tree.