Make My Seed Grow

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Natural Impressions, May 4, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

OK....... I have a customer who, between the two of them, I really want to blow my brains out.:hammerhead: But that's besides the point. I just received a call tonight and the MAN(drinker):drinkup: of the house wants to why the seed I put down 2 weeks ago hasn't taken. I tried to let him understand that with the lack of rain and him not watering, that it's going to take time. All he wants to know is why I just spread the seed by hand and not "scratch it into the ground". His words. Well for the $10 dollars I charged him (cost of seed) and the area the seed was going I really wasn't thinking I guess.:sleeping: But here's the area as best as I can describe it.
    It is a piece of property between 2 houses, about 6 - 7 ft wide and 30-40 or ft long. Gets sun but not really to much. I layed top soil down 2 years ago with a shady seed and starter fertilizer and told him to water it lightly until grass leaves begin to show. It did green up but the roots never really took a good hold. Very fragile. Is there a better way for me to get better stable grass here? What am I doing wrong with seed:confused: ....I never have any luck with seed. Any help or coments would be fine Thank
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have had bad luck using a small layer of topsoil and seeding on top. The problem is that the roots develop but only in the shallow part of the topsoil. They never take hold and eventually die off. I would go back, till everything, reseed and tell him to water it or to call someone else with future problems.
  3. Natural Impressions

Yes anyone else......but it's a weeklyclient.....i'm stuck for the year, and they alway pay right on time...hard to find that
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try some of GardensAlive seed it is expensive really is great.I agree you need to get the seed into a solid base by rolling the topsoil before you seed.You need to start over on the whole job and charge him apropriately for the work involved..You can just throw seed down but that's what your gonna get a weak thin lawn.If we could see it we could advise you much better on what action to take.The guy has got to water it.If you have problems with him watering..well that could be one of the reasons it's not comming in well..but it could be a combination of factors involved.
  5. A&BLandscape

A&BLandscape LawnSite Member

yes ^^^ is correct. I install yards 4 days a week as my full time job. The soil really should be compacted(to an extent) before broadcasting seed. Did you apply any type of mulch??? eg.-straw etc.? that sill help hold in moisture. If none of this works its quite possible that its not getting enough sun to plant a "sun seed." try a shade seed. hope this helps...
  6. Natural Impressions

So if you are saying compact soil befor I throw the seed down. I shouldn't till it then?