Makes me mad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by saw man, Feb 26, 2005.

1. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Sorry! But I have seen a bunch of threads lately where someone asks about a 21" mower and the majority of the posts are about how worthless a 21" mower is.

Some areas you cannot use a 32" or bigger mower. I had an account that I could mow by myself, in 110 degree weather, in 2 days and would pay over $70k a year for just mowing. Shrubs and tree trimming were extra, sprinklers were extra, fertalizer, etc. I used a 32" for only about 1 hour on the whole complex, the rest was with a 21" because I could not get a bigger mower to the lawns, and some were too small for a 32" or bigger.

I get mad cause it seems no one is giving information on what is asked. If I want to know about a 32" then I will ask, and if I, or someone else does, dont recomend a 52" cause it will be faster!

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Got it out of your system?
  3. saw man

from utah

I hope so! hahaha

I like some of the info. that people give on here, I just wish it could be kept to what was asked. I hate reading a thread that no one answers the question. At least give an opinion on what was asked and then ask if they can use something bigger then it would be better off to go to "this" model.

Lately it seems as the guys with "big" mowers think they are SO much better than the others. It all depends on what location you are in. But the person asking the question also needs to provide a little better info.

Sorry, just reminds me of goin to a car dealership and askin for a "x" car and they show my "y" car. Makes no sence!
  4. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

Hey Sawman, is that mower next to your name a 21" or 32"? :laugh:
  5. saw man

from utah

62" :p Cant use anything less!! :rolleyes:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Usually by the 10th response or sooner the average thread goes off on a tangent. Quite often George Bush will come up in the conversation.

Personally, I have no immediate plans for anything larger than a 36, I concentrate on the smaller props, and too many gated lawns to get enough use from anything larger.
  7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey Sawman

I totally agree that if you need a 21", then you NEED A 21" Not to detract from the 36", 48" 52" or 60"+ But a 21" is a very useful tool. Much as a reel mower setup, is for a nyche market so is the 21". I am toying with the Idea of fielding a truck with nothing but 2-21"s and the hand toys. With a new sbdv. on every corner with <5k turf,,,,,,,,,,,,there is a market!
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I think the biggest differnece for those of us that live in SLC and those that live back East is our population is pretty dense. In the SL valley we are pushing 1 million people. and most of our home owners in the state have fenced yards.

I see pictures of the proerties that people are servicing back East and a good majority of them are wide open with not fences and no gates. Those conditions are perfect for large mowers, but around these parts a large mower is generally overkill.

On my trailer you will find 4 - 21" Lawnboys and 1 - 34" Gravely ZTR. For the majority of my residential clients the ZTR gets minimal use because it is so much faster to manuver around a small yard with a 21" mower. Ive had people tell me I should sell all those 21's for a 36"-WB and I just don't see the point.

The problem with asking certain questions on Lawnsite that pertain to demographics is many of the members don't understand what the conditions are like outside their own part of the country. Most people can only speak from personal experience of where they are from.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am like you guys I live in a city of 1.0 million and I would bet that 95% of the yards have fences and gates that are 36" wide. We do several commerical and condo properties and we can't hardly find an area to use a 48" bagger. I would think that in the dense areas of the nort east they would stop building homes on big lots???
  10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Its George Bush's fault that the lots are not big enough for a 48-52" mower. :angel: