Makes me wonder how some people think.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

This is about another company, two to be exact.
    A hispanic owned and operated service got a job for at a nice (500k or more) house. These guys do good work. Well they start in with the owner watching their every move. Their bid is for 85$ and it takes the four of them 45 minutes. The homeowners comes over when they are done and tells the owner that it only took 45 minutes and that he would not pay that much for so little time. The lco tells him that is the price and that he has well over 6k in equiptment on the job. Homeowner says no, pays and says goodbye.
    The homeowner then contacts another service which bids it at 100$. They send out two hispanics with the proper equiptment and they take an hour and a half to do the job.
    ?????????????????????????????????????? The homeowner is now happy. He is geting more labor for his money. He thinks.
    Why would someone who is probably a sucessful business man
    think this is a better deal?? I am puzzled at how dumb people can be sometimes. Four manhours is four manhours.??????????????????????????????????????

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

It takes all kinds in this world. Some work for their money and some have it given to them, he may be the latter... Or he may just be stupid

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This is sort of like 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other. ;)

I have heard of stupid things and this is one of them, for sure.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

yep ... that 4 four years of school'n didn't go to waste with him ....or he figured all that fillin' in the whopper gives him his "burger worth"

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

It must be daddy's money he's living off of. "Must be nice to have a silver spoon in your mouth at birth"

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Some people just have tunnel vision. They may be good at their career but outside of that they are S**t for brains

7. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had this happen to myself once. I charge $40 and took me about 15 min by myself. The business did not want to pay me and it was because it only took the 15 min for me to earn the $40.00 and the manager said well that is a better job then has ever been done before and I said and I can keep doing this good of a job for you but my price is $40 whether it takes me 15 min or 45 or an hour. I do not have to take my time to do a good job like this and to me time is money the manager said you are right he paid me and I kept that customer from 1991 to 1995 when I had to get out of the biz because of a theft.

8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

it's the same story with the height of cut sometimes. people want to see you take at least 3" off the top because they think they are getting their moneys worth.i've gotten into some heated arguments with some former customers over that.i now tell everyone that i'm there to cut if take 1/8" or 2" off the grass.and the price is the same regardless of time.you have to ask them if they are happy with the job and if it was done to their liking,then they shouldn't be concerned if you spend an hour or if you could do their lawn the same way if you just drove by and waved a magic wand and it was done.yeah,some people really freak over the hourly pay thing.it's because some of them have only worked for x amount an hour all their lives and never understood the price- per- job concept,or they own a business and think that everyone who works for them should only make $8.00 an hour.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

alot of things make me wonder what people with money think.

10. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

That sounds like something that happened to me today for some unknown reason i put 18 and a half gallons of gas in a 16 gallon tank the cleark at the station told me i needed to take in acount that it was up to a buck 59 a gallon now that's why, go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!