Makes my day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burns60, Apr 5, 2006.

1. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Had to share this tale from yesterday...

Little 90 year old lady whose yard I was about to cut, was giving me "instructions" about what all she wanted done. She was talking so loud that I know all the neighbors heard her. (she is totally deaf I think) She said,"you see that ivy down there behind those blueberry bushes? I want you to cut it to the ground..(I said ok)..."now, I want you to do it now, while I am on the porch watching." Oh, ok, I'll go do that first I said.

But the funniest thing this little 90 year old said, after I got all of her instructions......"Now, GIT R DONE, OK?" Yes maam......here I go.

Some of you will find this boring I know, but I get a charge out of being around these "oldsters".

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

That's why I enjoy working for "DINK"'s..they are never home to bother me or my crews:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Not boring at all. :) I had one that wore a conducters cap on occasion and had me go in to see her train set in the living room and watch the train go round and round in a circle for a half hour. She would give me a York Peppermint patty as a tip everytime I was there. Loved that lil old lady. Only did work for her once in awhile. She got so bad that her daughter cam up and moved her down to her house. She just passed away about a month ago. I really do miss the times I spent at her property, the jokes and all the old stories and some of the things that she did.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Now, that 90 yr.old elderly lady has probably forgotten more about lawncare than any one of us will EVER learn. There is nothing more gratifying than to make a older person proud of me. Just keep on doing her a good job - you'll be rewarded later. :usflag:

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Gotta love seniors....
    I have one OLD couple, well, the husband is older I think, but, when I first took the account, I had no idea of the trouble they could be. At first it irritated me, now I laugh to myself about it, and try to give them the best service I can to keep them happy (the less stress they have the better, I think). The old man likes to stand there in the window watching me work, but when I am done they always come out to tell me how great their lawn looks. If I schedule any work more than a week in advance, I am guaranteed an early morning wake up call the day the work is supposed to be done "This is George, I wanted to make sure you were still coming!" Sometimes he will be really angry when he calls too! I have gotten calls from him after I have left the house to go there to do some work, and hear the message when I get home. "Jason! It's George! It's 9am and you aren't here, I wanted to make sure you are still coming! Is there a problem? Call me back and let me know what's going on!" Then when I get there at 9:05, he greets me at the door with a smile(he really IS a nice guy) "I just called and left you a message, just don't pay any attention to it, I was upset. I'm so old that any little thing out of place gets me aggravated!" I have learned that a few well placed phone calls on my behalf the day before any extra work outside the mowing schedule does wonders for his blood pressure! Definitely one of my favorite customers, always pays on time and always very happy with my work, and has a lot of good stories, too.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What does that mean? Dual Income No Kids? First time I ever heard that and that's all I could come up with, inquiring minds want to know. :waving:

7. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

The seniors are a challenge at times to say the least. I had an older couple last year that wanted their lawn cut on Saturday before 9:00am but their neighbor would come out and give me the nastiest looks with his hair standing on end and sleep in his eyes. I asked the old guy about it and he said he enjoyed waking him up because the guy kept him up at night partying. This is why he wanted his yard cut early... lol

I thought it was humorous at the time, but they tell me the neighbor died of a heart attack this winter @ 52 years old leaving a wife and two early teenage girls behind. Kinda sad...

8. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

Amen!

Especially when they just want to leave a check in the mailbox and never have to speak with you because they are "too busy" :clapping:

I always encourage that:cool2:

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, Double Income No Kids...the suit and tie professional set. Best clients to have..they always like to stay a step ahead of the Jones's:laugh:

10. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

:headphones: :dancing: ....and it's not why I AM smiling.:headphones:

...hehehe. I just love those "way important" types!!

Dennis