Makes you wanna scratch your head and wonder why...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Sep 12, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen anyone post anything on this and I'm sure a lot of guys have wondered it. But why are homeowner and commercial unit mulching systems so different. With a homeowner rider, one can place a mulch plug over the grass chute, and 5 seconds later, you're ready to mulch. If you need to side discharge, bam, take the mulch plug out and 5 second later, you're ready. However... with a commercial rider, a Z, you must baffle each blade off and close the chute. Much much more time consuming. Why can't the manufactures make anything easy these days? Seems like the mulch plug over the chute would be a wise option for the commercial units as well, as I have seen some immaculant results with this method. Anyone else this annoys?:dizzy:
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Maybe because homeowner units and commercial units are made differently!

A comm. unit is designed to do an excellent job, the homeowner unit is made to do the job ok. If you want to change stuff easy then go buy a homeowner unit.
  3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest difference I believe is length of grass being cut. The homeowner by the manufacturer’s manual is expected to cut once the grass is ½ inch taller then the cut set point. Commercial mowing typically cut more then a ½ inch of grass. The bottom line, commercial cuts handle much larger volumes of grass. More then just what a simple plug would handle. I have to believe that if there was an economical way to quickly change a commercial mower to a good mulch machine we would be all using it. Maybe some day!!

Eric D
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

gotta rememebr most homeowner units are stamped decks with better airflow to keep the clipping the up in the air longer to get them cut more.
    most commercial decks are flat steel welded with the aerodynamics of a brick and are very very deep witch help disperse the clipping out the side better but not mulch as good. and the homeowner models won't throw as good but they mulch better

so its a trade off...longevity, VS ease. I'll put on my OCDC and get on with life ...
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag built a model called Cougar that could be converted between mulch, sidedischarge and bagging pretty guickly. Since the deck tilted up like Walker you could change it in about 5 minutes. It did a pretty darn good job at all three........but the unit never caught on probably becaise "pretty darn good" just wasn't good enough for a lot of guys in particular up north in those grasses. One thing I would like to see is a simple slide up/down plate that blocks the outlet on Scag unit......I run with the plate on 99% of the time but it is a pain to get off for the 1%, and no I am not interested in having one of those flap up devices hanging off the unit to smash into things.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Our first SCAG 48" hydro walk behind had this option. We still use the mower today but have a dedicated mulcher so we no longer do it.

Basically it was two bolts and a piece of steel. Bolt the steel to the deck and you are mulching, remove it and you are discharging, screw the bagger plate on and you are bagging.

But as previous poster has said it did okay at all three not great.
  7. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not that educated on the machine, but isn't that what j deere's mulch on demand deck for? I belive that you just slide a lever on the deck and it turns it into a mulch deck ,Kindof like toros lever that chages the baffles.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The average homeowner machine is only a small 2 blade deck, and it's only cutting up to a max of 5 mph. Most also run a lower blade tip speed that doesn't make it blow out so bad.... That's average....

Commercial units have too much capacity to get by with just a blockoff plate.
  9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks all for the replys. Maybe someday there will be a happy medium with the commercial units and quick mulch option/side discharge/bagging...someday.
  10. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

Yah, there was a Deere that converted with the switch of a lever. I thought it was pretty cool looking and smart, but someone (a competing dealer, of course) told me that it would be great for the first use or two but would then 'gum' up with grass (the deck), making it difficult or impossible to continue switching back and forth without getting down there and continually scraping the deck.

Does anyone have one of these Deeres? ...Or has anyone demoed one? How do they truly perform? (after all, it was the Exmark-Hustler dealer telling me this...:rolleyes: ) Furthermore, does Deere even offer these anymore??