Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by horticulturalsolutions, Apr 24, 2005.

1. horticulturalsolutions

horticulturalsolutions LawnSite Member

What is the most effective marketing methods?

Door Hangers, Post Cards, Door to Door Sale, Sending Letters?

Sure would like some feed back.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found flyers to be the most effective marketing method in my area. I sent out 30,000 post cards this year and did not get near the respose I had hoped for. I guess you live and you learn. Next year I'll have about that many flyers ready. They are cheaper, and in my case seemed to work better.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You can never go wrong with an ad in the classifieds. I put one in for 12 weeks and ive gotten 3 calls so far (2 weeks in)
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you list an email address. I do not know why it is, but many people seem to feel more comfortable with this. Maybe it is the distance. Maybe it is because they can contact you any time they want. Maybe it is because they can think about their questions and about your answers without feeling like you are standing there waiting for them to make a decision RIGHT THIS SECOND! I don't know, but a lot of people really dig email.

If you're single, it's a good way to meet people too. Not your customers, but when you're out at a club or a party or anywhere else. Give 'em your email address. It works much better than a phone number.
  5. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

Try them all!

Most effective if you have very little time = Postcards
    Most effective if you want to get someone's attention = Door Hangers
    Most effective if you have way too much time on your hands = Door to Door
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be a Bullseye!
  7. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How will you distribute 30,000 flyers?
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Direct mailing, kind of pricey but in some cases works well.

I'm going to be trying a few different things this year :D First I have an add in 5 local papers (they were cheap i had to do it, $60 per week for all 5) but I'm also going to experiment with flyers. I'm going to send out 5000 B&W flyers, I made them up today they look ok using gopher's free templetes and will cost 6 cents a piece (thats printing and distributing) very cheap advertising I think. I'm going to do that but I also am having 2000 nice color ones that were professionally done sent to the higher scale houses.

I think people relate to websites (especially) and even email more because they don't have to communicate with you at first, they can take their time with it read over a website learn who your company is see how professional your website is and then go from there. I know i'm like this when it comes to buying stuff, i always check for websites before i go places in person. I have my website on the b&w adds pretty big so people will see that and look past the non-color and maybe think hey wow they have a website the must be pretty professional.
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Last month I did Val Pac and another called Money in the mail , like Val Pac except it has pages like post cards or it’s like a booklet of post cards .
    Cost is $600.0 for either for 32,000 deliveries
    I’ve also been doing the penny saver , a free news paper like publication of adds only .
    And the regular local news paper , too.
    Then there’s my post cards , all by themselves , shared with no other venders .
    They’re half sheets cut long ways to stand out .
    All boxes get one and they all look it ‘em .
    Unlike every thing else , which can get thrown out without being noticed .
    Post cards are exposed , unwrapped , so they get seen .
    This year a lot of people tell me they’ve heard of my company and it’s because of the post cards I send over & over to the same boxes .
    It’s starting to pay off , all the expense of exposure .
    It’s just like seeing the same commercial on TV over & over , you remember it , burned into your mind , like Lynn said .
    I only send them at the times of the year when pest are at the worst so potentials customers will connect the post cards with the current problem .
    There must be a connection with the post card , like pest , get it ?
    It’s my intent to get to them before they look in the YPs or at least they may see my name in the YP and remember my post cards .
    I offer %40 off initial and 1 free month if they give me a 1 year agreement of service .
    It turns out to be 14 months in all.
    I also offer one times treatments and month or what ever .

Post cards do the best by far .
    It’s the most pricey , too .
    It cost me $4,400 for cards and postage , 30,000 of them .

The local news paper has been second in responses .
    I’m doing more news paper , for sure
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi horticulturalsolutions,

There is also alot to be said for going out and handing out flyers. Meeting people.