Making $30k the First Year mmmm.......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Nov 8, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I have been reading around this forum and see some folks saying they made $30k and up their first year and closing out the season with a steady 10 yards a week. They even make this claim with a limited amount of equipment and tools such as a push mower and with a detachable trimmers/edger/blower. Am I missing out on something?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

They might be talking 30k in gross sales, but that's not Net Profit.

Now, I didn't do a lot of mowing in my first year, and it was strictly landscaping stuff.

First year 5-6k
    second year 15k
    third year 30k

And so on.

Those first three years I had a part-time job also. I just let the biz slowly grow into itself.

I don't want to talk numbers for this year, but I'm still showing growth in the 7th year and it looks great.

As we start to max out for the size of the business in terms of being me and mostly one part-time employee, we are still showing 10% growth or better this year over last.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Fuzzy internet math and overinflated egos.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. #1 rule on lawnsite--don't believe everything you read.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

As a solo, those first 3 years sales figures are really right on with what I did too. Get the business, grow, add an employee, then you can really watch things take off.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

My biggest problem is the employee issue.

Not quit big enough yet to have someone full time, but almost there. It's basically a hurdle I'm trying to get over.

That and this year I'm finally seeing the having the taxes/Insurance/ and general payroll isn't going to take away from my take home pay as much as I feared.

Yes you need to charge enough to cover those expenses, but it's tough when market value for services is so beat up and the competition is stiff.

Luckily I've positioned my biz to a point where the customers I get now understand the quality and effort we put into jobs, so it makes it easier to charge what I need to.

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

but if it's on the Internet it must be true....

8. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

XLS
    :waving:

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Is he even still on here?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

First Year: 6k
    Second Year: 12K
    Third Year: On track to make 21K

I'm at the point where in the spring and fall where I need at least a part time worker. I am turning down a lot of work right now