Making $30k the First Year mmmm.......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Nov 8, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Is that gross, or profit?

2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

i am in my second "real year". i had about 5 yards i did in high school just for extra cash strictly mowing and trimming. The first year that i decided i want to make a career out of it i grossed about 10K but i got lucky and landed a couple good sized landscape projects. So net prly closer to 5 or 6K. This year i am up to netting about 15K. But it helps because i already had a small customer basis and decent equipment. Next year i wouldn't be surprised if my actual net stays the same as i plan on replacing all my equipment in the spring.

3. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Its profit.

4. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Hit the nail on the head.

5. TheUfan

TheUfan LawnSite Member

This is entirely possible. But in most markets you will have to bust 6-7 days a week to get a net profit like this in your first year. You can gross this easily, but net maybe half or more of gross.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, its all profit when you use dads tractor, trimmer, truck and don't tell the taxman nuthin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Second rule on lawn site some of us are honest and do not inflate numbers I happen to be one of them. Our first year we took in just under 70K we made closer to 80K but Nov and Dec money tends to arrive after Jan 1st. And after all that hard work what did my partner and I get to keep drum roll please 7k each.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

No way 30k net in year one. You start a business with nothing, you invest money for, trucks, equipment, insurance etc.... There is no way you can recoup your initial investment + operating expenses and net 30k all said and done your fist year. Especially not with only mowing 10-15 lawns.

9. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

I mean i grossed 15k almost just working friday and saturday... And some more days every onces in a while... doesent mean its still in my bank account, but yeah its possible just depends on how dedicated and how hard your willing to bust your arse. Its all up to you, you control your business.

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Grossing money is the easy part, turning it into profit is another. Out of that 15 how much went back into the business?