Making a 6X10 Utility trailer on your own?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Sep 19, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Has anyone ever done this? i saw the plans ebay
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I really think you need to slow down a little bit. Two days ago you were asking about cutting a tree, now you want to build a trailer. I would rather be safe than save a buck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you dont take this the wrong way. Just a lil advice from someone who has been in this business for over 10yrs now. If you ever have any other questions, id be happy to help ya out .
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Building a trailer is allot of work. The above average Landscaper or welder for that matter can't do it and get the trailer to track straight without it wearing out a tire every week. Also a good used trailer can be found on Craigslist for a fraction of the cost to build one even if the labor is free.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It will cost more to buy the steel to buil a trailer than to buy one already made and properly welded.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

thanks for the advice! i guess i was mislead by the ad for the plans which said it was easy.
    thank you
  7. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Truer words were never spoken!!
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I brought an abused custom 20ft trailer back from the dead and the experience was awesome. They aren't kidding about the costs it's very expensive to buy quality parts and steel and paint and rims and tires and do your own work. But because of this I know that One I can do the work and Two as I grow I will make my own trailers from the ground up with my own specs and designs. But I have a tool and die maker back ground and I am a very good welder. This is not a project that just anyone can attempt.

There are a lot of landscapers out there who haven't a clue how to weld or are just to scared to try. You can spot them easily enough their the ones whose rear trailer gates are patched with plywood or have gaping holes through the expanded metal gates with jagged edges waiting to tear their legs up someday. I have at least a dozen guys that fit that description that I see regularly as I do my rout and some I cringe at as I watch them risk their health because they don't have a way to fix their stuff.

I needed to fab up just a ramp gate and it cost a few hundred. I couldnt imagine the whole trailer.