Making a Bed into a Trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chop Stuff Up, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

My truck now has front end damage. I'm considering purchasing a second truck, which I have found, for parts (bad engine), and using the front end and doors off of it to fix the truck I have now. Also, I was gonna replace my interior with the one from that truck. NOW, when all this is done, I still have a nice 8ft bed on this doner truck. What parts are needed, and what are the costs involved in converting this bed into a trailer? This doner truck is $600 and I'm still debating on the purchase.

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Remove the cab of the donor truck and cut the frame about 4 ft up from the front end of the bed (probably around the firwall). Notch the top and bottom of the frame rails at the front of the bed so that you can heat the metal and bend the two frames together. Cut out all cross members. Bend the frame rails to meet. Weld your angle notches back together and weld a coupler to the end of the frame. Splice into the wiring harness for your light hookup pigtail and you should be all set.

3. Chop Stuff Up

That sounds like a lot of work!

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i did it to a 85 s10. it made a very bad trailer with all the wieght off the truck. it is way to unstable in a turn and it leaned so bad with a load i was always scared of it rolling over. but kind of handy if you just need a trailer to store a load on

5. Chop Stuff Up

Sounds like more work than it's worth. Or at least to me. Its an older chevy.

6. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

for a few hundred bucks just buy a decent used trailer ... in my opinion .... truck bed's converted to trailers .. are a lil tacky ...

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

is the bed in good shape sell it or for some quick cash a junk yard will probably buy it

8. Chop Stuff Up

Yeah, that or I'll try to sell it locally. Darn guy that hit me slammed the front right and tapped the passenger side bed too. I'd swap the bed but mines a 6ft. Its not too bad of a hit on the rear, I'd take a pic of it wasn't dark out. I guess I could pull it and do some bondo. I got an insurance check but my ex liked the check better than I did :nono: . Here's the doner truck I'm looking to get:

chev1.JPG

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

With steal costs I would just pick what I need off of it and then either try to sell it locally or sell it to a junkyard. Looks to be a good donor.