Making a 'Care Free' Tire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone ever try to turn an inflatable front castor wheel into a foam filled one? I was thinking about drilling a hole in the inflatable one, taking some of that spray foam and filling the wheel up. Then I'd have a solid wheel, just like the 'Care Free' foam wheels, without the expense. Think it would work?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom, I bet that would work if you took the valve core out of the stem, to allow the air inside a place to go as the foam displaces it.. Let us know, sounds like a good idea. You gonna use " Great Stuff "?? LOL
  3. mtdman

Only thing I worry about is doesn't that foam heat up as it expands? I don't wanna melt the tire.

I've got a couple of inflatable castors on a mower now, and one won't stay inflated. I was going to replace them, then I thought about this idea.
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom, I've never noticed it heating up, but that doesn't mean it won't. I doubt it would melt the tire though.. Ever put an aceytelene torch to a tire? It takes longer than you might think to burn one..I think it may work well.. Let us know...
  5. mtdman

Great, so I get to be the guinea pig?

:D :D

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good idea to me also. Only thing I would worry about is what if that stuff starts to break up from the abuse and is not dense enough to hold up. Guess there is only one way to find out. I would have the replacement tires ready to go just in case. Good luck
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tire leaking down or getting knocked off the rim?

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

DON'T WASTE THE TIRES... if they were any good to start with.i'm assuming you've tried slime or amerseal???

the foam theory will NOT work.

it's more than a little embarrising to admit, but i tried just that, on a wheel-barrow tire one time...

every time you hit a bump you'll have a flat spot in tire.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The two problems I see are getting the foam to disperse evenly and the foams durability.

That said my mower shop has some stuff that essentiall does what you are talking about. Can't remember the name of it. I will try to look next time I am in there and let you know.

They have it in a tire and have a nail on a lever for puncturing. The tire is all torn up from years of being punctured, but it is still solid.
  10. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Canned insulation will not work. Once you start putting weight on it it will crush and not rebound. Simply not the right kind of foam for the application.