Making a circle with stone around tress? help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jasonn B, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

The pics below are from a neighbors house that did this. I REALLY like the way it looks, and frames the tree. I also like how the stones are at about ground level, so when you mow on the outside, you can go over the stones without sucking up mulch.

I'm not sure what stone he used, and I'm not sure what size is better to go with. I stopped at Home Depo, and they have sone that is 12" long x 4" high, and then ones that are about 8" long, and 3" high. see pic. I want a tan color. I only want to do one layer in a circle. Advice? Pros? Cons?

photo 13.jpg

photo 226.jpg

photo 326.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

The less angle you have on the keystone; the larger the circumference. More angle will produce a tighter circle. Lay out your keystones and cut the sod and use sand to even up the top surface. If the stones are not a proper circle; then you can use a 4" side grinder to score the angle more or less and then use a large cold chisel to cut them. I have all of the stone mason's tools and they can become quite expensive. If you don't have too much to do, then a mason's saw blade on a skill saw will score the keystones for cutting. Or you could build yourself a form and cast your own from concrete. "Be Different"

3. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

Thanks. I don't have any tools, I just wanted to find some stones that will look good.

Which way would I put the stones down? See how there is a rough scored edge on the one side, then the back side is smooth. Do you face the smooth side toward the tree trunk?

In the top two pics, you can't see if those stones are scored on the outer edge or not, probably because they are recessed more.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Landscape curbs............. Those stones suck for one layer especially if you think you're going to be driving that mower over them.

5. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

I went with the 12" long tan ones above. It looks great! Thanks. Luckily I didn't have to score anything.
    Now I'm wanting to do my two other beds, the one would need 100 of those stones. Crap :) It looks that nice!

I was going to have the stones raised up about an inch higher than the grass, but then I thought if my mower does ride on the edge that might not be good, so I put them in flush.

Btw, what are landscaping curbs?

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Looks great!

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Jasonn,
    Looks real nice...........fun digging them things in wasn't it.....especially when the ground appeared to be dry from the looks of the grass.
    The only Cons to these types of face pavestone blocks is the cracks. We have the invasive grasses Bermuda and Zoysia...........the Rhizomes and stolons invade those cracks and will settle up in the mulch. We have even went the extra mile and steel edged the interior of the stones to keep out grass but the runners will still grow in the cracks. This means line-edging and or flossing of the cracks in those stones.
    Once the stones settle in, it will be easier to mow over them but a heavy machine tire will flip them over toward you as you mow. Always will!!!

8. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

Thanks! I actually rained about 2" almost 3 days before which made it much, much easier, because that ground is usually hard! Some more pics.

I didn't put down any sand, as I was told by more than a few people that since it's only one layer it wouldnt really matter. They do look very nice!

photo 515.jpg

photo 420.jpg

photo 228.jpg

photo 327.jpg

photo 15.jpg

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

10. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Lava rock is putrid crap. Its even some of the most expensive aggregrate here. Even worse then that is the rubber mulch. It should be considered littering when you put that stuff down. Only bad thing I've heard on black mulch is the fades in a year and turns grey. Looks very nice in that open area.