making a follow up call.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt went out on an estimate on Friday, turned out to be good one, weekly cutting, scu, removal of two small birch trees, and 15 yards of mulch with bed edging. The lady said, "well my husband is an attorney, i will have to get back with you, he is away on business." uh oh, that didn't sound good, usually when the lady of the house says this, it means she probably won't sign on. Hadn't heard from her, so I made this followup call on Monday. I don't do follow up calls, but this was an account that we really wanted and in an area that we want to work in. She says, "my husband isn't back yet from his trip, I will still have to let you know." I hung up the phone and thought, 'why in the heck did I just do that, I made myself look like a fool."
    Well well, around 3pm today the phone rings, and it's ole Mrs. Smith calling. She says, "I want you to know that I talked to my husband, and we've decided to sign on for everything with you this season." I said, "well that's great." She says, "i honestly got a few other bids, you came in more expensive, but there was something about your call you made to me yesterday that I liked. No one cared enough to ask again for our business, that's one of the reason we selected your company."

SO... who here does follow up calls?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DANG, EMM that hurts my old and established, "I don't do follow-ups" policy :laugh:

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Been doing them for yrs.
    And like you we've gotten jobs because of the follow up, but I also like to find out why we did'nt get the jobs. That info is more important.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Trust me, I don't either, I find it embarrasing. Like beggin' or something. There was just something about that account that made it seem really appealing.... now it gets even more interesting... we go to take our daughter to gymnastics tonight... who is there, yep you guessed it, Mrs. Smith. She says to Matt, "i thought you looked really familiar"... Watch, this account will end up being a dud, and I'll be stuck seeing her every tuesday night gymnastics... :hammerhead:

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I do follow up calls, or if I am in the Neighborhood I stop by the house if I see there home.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do like you did, only do them if it seems to be an attractive account.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I do follow ups 90% of the time b/C we only advertise in areas we really want work in, and those are the customers that are calling.

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it makes you look desperate. I think it makes you look interested in getting her business just as you should be. I mean if the job was worth a sales pitch in the first place...:weightlifter:

Congrats 1MT:clapping:

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually I do not do follow up calls. However, this reminds me of a time last season where I had bid two cemeteries where it was rumored they had not recieved any other bids. I called the clerk one afternoon, indentified myself, and asked if she had a chance to look at the proposal. Here response was "oh yes your hired!"

10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the TIP . I just gave a estimate on a bull S^$@ job yesterday .Priced it high .But i think i'll call her back next week just to see.Thanks (she already had 3 guys turn it down ) so who knows!!