1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

making a hill

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kevinrmac, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Kevinrmac

Kevinrmac LawnSite Member

Any one ever make a hill on a very flat piece of property to add some texture to a yard. Here's the thought. It's a 1acre lot, back 1/3 is still natural wooded. Lawn area is just paper flat. Was considering building up a "hill" one corner. about 4-5 feet tall at the highest point, although not a true circle, about 25-30 foot kidney shape with the highest point offset towards the back of the circle. In my head it looks really nice... But does this sound like a good or bad idea to any one else?

hill option.jpg
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Pay close attention to drainage issues.

Looks like a nice place for grasses.
  3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

"hills", or what I would call a raised planting bed, are very nice additions to a landscape, especially very level lots with little elevation change.

Often, if doing other work, like installing a patio or walk, you can sell raised beds not only for the reason of looks, but for the reason of .......you need to get rid of all that excavated dirt somewhere!

A nice addition to a raised bed are large boulders, which can create a very nice rock out cropping effect and adds even more intereste to the bed.

From a design stand point, its hard to tell without seeing the property if a raised bed is right or not. One of the main reasons for a raised bed would be for privacy.....when planting, a greater height is covered with smaller, less expensive plantings.

You seem to like the idea, so I would suggest going with it. Hey, your the landscaper, and you are there to be creative. Back corners are great places for raised beds.....perhaps two raised beds, one in each corner, would make a better effect yet.

Also, raised beds are great at creating 'hiding places'.....perhaps the people have a shed in mind......placing it behind the bed full of lush plantings works very well in disguising the structure.

Just be carefull of its location.....make sure you don't create any drainage issues or cover up anything (ie....septic field/lids, utilities, etc.)
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful not to call out the height of the hill. Five feet does not sound high, but it is extremely high in a bed 30' across.

I used to do bermed island gardens all of the time. Steveair gave you good design advice with the use of rocks. One problem that happens when you add a lot of landform is that the planting sometimes loses unity. Rocks add a strong unifying element that will allow you to mix lots of color, texture, and form in your plant selection.
  5. Kevinrmac

Great points! Thanks for the input... The drainage issue is definitely something that is being looked at. The "hill" is actually at the back of what is already a slight low spot. There have been discussions of installing a french drain system down that whole side of the yard.... But it would be pretty big. about a 150-200 feet in length. Basically from the hill all they way to the street. The property is so flat, i'm not sure I can get it graded to drain off all by itself.

I love stone and boulders. (just hate moving them around...) They will definitely be used in the design.

I'll post an photography of the property in a minute. (Computer's acting up at the moment.)
  6. Kevinrmac

Here is the corner as it looks after all that rain we had a week or so ago.

7. Kevinrmac

This is kind of the area I had in mind... hopefully the highlight will show up....

8. Kevinrmac

btw, those are about 4.5' fence posts for size reference. They are the old ones that are coming out.