making a larger hole in a mower blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dualsmows, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

Found a set of blades with the exact same measurements with the exception of the center hole. The blades im talking about are heavier and i'm using them on another mower I run.
    I'm needing to drill out from a 5/8" hole to a 1" hole.
    I know the hole has to be completely centered... Can this be done?

Thanks for the help!

2. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Yes, but only with the use of a vice mounted to a drill press. Increasing the size of bits by 1/16 at a time would be recommended along with some oil to keep it cool.

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a bad idea. It is not likely you will get the hole centered and the blade will be unusable. Just buy the proper blade and be done with it. Look around more and find a heavier blade. It's probable out there.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Have to agree. By drilling new holes you could be throwing the whole blade off which would throw the entire mower off.

Spend a few bucks and get some new ones.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It's also not very possible... The blades are hardened steel and trying to drill out the center hole will simply trash a very expensive drill bit. Been there, tried that...

My step-dad works with metal every day, owned his own sheet metal fab. and machine shop. I took a set of blades to him that I had the same problem with. They were the right length, and had more lift, but the center hole was too small. He said it wouldn't work, but tried anyway. Yep, one farily costly bit dulled totally before it barely even scratched the surface of the blade.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do not redrill your blades. you weaken them and the blade can come off mower if it strikes some object. so save your self a lot of trouble. go out and buy new set of them
    Play it safe:drinkup:

04.jpg

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally would be worried to do this. Just my opinion. Like it was said above, besides messing with the integrity of the blade and mower it would mess up a drill bit.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, you post pics of 2 blades with the holes drilled in them, what they heck were those made for, and what was used to drill them? I'm just curious, I know that basically anything can be drilled if you use the right equipment and methods... Or are those blades not very well hardened?

9. jackson1

jackson1 LawnSite Member

i had 2 gator blades drilled out to fit my navigator they were for a walker. machine shop did it. he did have to stop and sharpen bit a few times but it was 6 holes. i only use them for heavy leaves doesnt fill hopper up as fast. hope they make these for nav. soon cost 25 bucks to drill

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a carbide cutter or an EDM machine can get them bored. Hole also would need to have a chamfer on both sides to reduce stresses at the hole. But as the others have said, at that point, you have no way of knowing how safe the blade is.