1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making a Mower a Mulcher

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GrassworksNEB, Mar 31, 2003.

1. GrassworksNEB

GrassworksNEB LawnSite Member
    from NE

I have a Lesco 48" Hydro. I just purchased the Gator blades and I am wondering what else I need to do to make it a mulcher.

Do I need to fabricate something to close off the chute?
  2. GrassworksNEB

from NE

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried running double blades??

I use gators over standards or high lifts , as a double combo on my 36" lesco and side discharge. The clippings end up pretty small, even without the chute closed off.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You really don't want to just close off the chute. If you do that all the clippings will go from the three blades and stop at the discharge. I have an exmark turf tracer, and tried this and it would leave a pile of clippings at the discharge side. I ended up getting the mulch kit. The mulch kit encloses each baffle seperate. Mabey lesco has a mulch kit for your mower. Otherwise, using the discharge open would be the best.:D
  5. GrassworksNEB

from NE

After talking to my Lesco Rep., it was determined that the mulching kit is the way to go.

As described above, the kit containes baffles that seperate each blade as well as closes off the chute.

Hope this helps anyone else...
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Really, the mulch kit surrounds each blade on the 36" or the 48"? Not what my lesco dealer told me. I really wanted an enexpensive hydro w/b, so i figured lesco is the way to go. I also wanted a dedicated mulcher, but my dealer told me their mulch kits were nothing more than gators and a curved plate to cover discharge. Even he said "if you really want a mulcher, get something that encloses each blade in it's own cutting chamber". I kinda wonder about making baffels to go under deck though...seems if you could roll some steel to the correct curvature, weld them togather, and weld some tabs on for bolt-up, it may work. I'm looking into a used lesco hydro 48" and doing just that.
  7. GrassworksNEB

from NE

From what I understand, the Mulch kit is more than just the blades and chute cover.