Making a weedeater head insert last longer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CLS_Birmingham, Mar 22, 2013.

1. CLS_Birmingham

CLS_Birmingham LawnSite Member

So does anyone have any tips, tricks, or modifications they do to the insert on their weedeater head to make them last longer?? I've got a new employee thats wears them down like crazy.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes tell him to stop letting it ride along onthe ground. Usually the lawns are being cut toooo low when you do that.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yeah you go buy some metal wood screws with a big fat head on them and really short threads, like 1" or less. Then put 4 screws spaced out on the button so when he rides in on the concrete the screws are touching the ground not the plastic. Now they will last years.

4. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

They must be doing something wrong I have never wear one out . I have one trimmer that is a 2002 with the same head on it .

I like this head it has a ball bearing resting surface.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/product-accessories/heads-and-blades/trimmer-head-t35x

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's an easy fix. Tell him not to let it ride on the ground. I've got a friend in Miami with 4 crew's and he make's them buy the bump heads.

6. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

You got that right .Tell them that if you Let the head ride on the ground they are a girlyman or wimpy.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Saw a Husky trimmer head yesterday where the tap-piece had a bearing making it free spin from the remainder of the head...pretty dang cool if you ask me!

8. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

Freeze Plugs. You can get them at any auto parts store, they come in many different sizes. Just glue it onto the bump piece of the trimmer head, problem solved.

[​IMG]

9. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

Yes ,Thank You that is what I been saying the Husqvarna t35x has a ball bearing resting surface that Provides for less wear and longer life span.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessor...mmer-head-t35x

10. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

The best part of the t35x head is if you ever need to replace the resting surface it is only $2 .