Making a yard thick and green?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

With the average yards, that have thin grass, weeds, and some crabgrass here and there....does just fertililzing every 3 months, and seeding in the fall clear most of this up?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First of all to put down ANY Fertilizer or any other chemical here in NC you MUST be LICENSED by the State of NC. It is called an Applicators License and the program is adminstered through NCSU and again is REQUIRED or you simply cannot put down chemicals. If you do without a license it is up to a $3,000.00 Fine for evry property and time you do it. I will assume that based on your question you do not have this training or license because if you did you would know that just putting fertilizer on weeds and crabgrass will just give you more weeds and crabgrass and less grass. Those need a special herbicide to take care of them. SO get you training and then license before you even attempt this part of the business.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

WalkerMan9669, I would suggest getting the customer on a 6 step program (every 4-6 weeks, by anyone licensed) and have the lawn fertilized and weeds treated. It would also be a good idea to get a soil sample before seeding and make any amendments needed http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/. Depending on the condition you will probably need to over-seed the the first couple years. If the customer will allow it, I would aerate in the spring also. Get the grass seed down early in fall so that all seed germinates. You (or sub) will be applying PreEmergent the following spring and seed left behind will not germinate.

I have never gotten a thin weedy lawn thick by one seeding using the aeration/seed method.

4. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you dont have an answer for him then move on. Worry about yourself and quit asking for everyones credentials when somebody asks a question. :realmad:

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what I found out that works the best for us cool season grass people is put the lawn on a 5 step fertilization process and mow HIGH. Of course proper watering helps as well. But of course this is just basic simple procedures. There is more involved if you want a superb lawn

6. MMLawn

I did have an answer for him, that he can't do fertilization in this state and told him so that he wouldn't get his young azz in trouble since it was clear he didn't know, and since we are in a bigger city they check daily for the license. I can also see that you've been a HUGE :dizzy: help to folks on LS as you have 170 post in nearly 2 YEARS.....and while you are complaining show me ANY post where I ask for anyones credentials BUBBA!.....

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Try a lesco renovator. I've had really good luck with them over seeding thin lawns.
    Also a 5 or 6 step program with irrigation won't hurt. :D

8. MMLawn

To make your post even funnier, you ask the very same thing about your state that i was informing this young man about in his state... ;) ;)

9. Soupy

Do you charge more for this method then Aeration? I have thought about using a slit seeder, but I am more then happy to charge them to do it over, and over again year, after year. Plus I would have to do manual labor rather just sit on my but pulling the aerator :). Actually I have had good luck with the aeration method but not on really thin weedy lawns. They come in good but not what I would call thick. I aerate the crap out of them when seeding. That is the great thing about pull behinds. You can afford to beat the crap out of the lawn and still profit.

I aerate, 1/2 seed, aerate some more, and then apply rest of seed. I might rent a slice seeder for my lawn (just moved) and see how that works. I have never used one. I don't think I have ever seen anyone but a home owner using then either. It seems like the lawns I have seen them used on have lines of grass growing. But I never paid much attention to those lawns (not lawns I work on) later to see how the final results turned out. I just remember driving by lawns and seeing lines of grass growing in very thin lawns.

10. Soupy

Are you dealing with mostly Bluegrass? Bluegrass used to be popular in my area but now everyone wants Fescue for better drought tolerance.