Making an aluminum flatbed?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by BSDeality, Sep 14, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I've found a truck (88 gmc k 2500) with a homemade wood flat bed, and the guy didn't think to use pressure treated wood, so its falling apart now. If i do buy this truck i'd like to put an aluminum flatbed on it. The truck also has a dump kit on it.

Has anyone attempted such a project here? got any pictures? any words of advice?

I've got a Lincoln MIG, plasma cutter, oxy-actelyn torch plus an assortment of grinders, and tools. I've never welded anything but steel before. can i do it with a mig? or do i need a tig?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i don't know what the budget is but it may be cheaper to buy a bed rather than make one or do a steel and wood combo
    aluminum is hard to work with if u are new to it and being it is a truck and could kill someone this may not be the best thing to start out on just my thoughts good luck

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i haven't found anyone local or within 60 miles yet that makes/distributes beds around here yet. I'm still looking though.

I'll do a steel deck in a heartbeat, but i wanted to at least entertain the idea of an aluminum one since its so much lighter and looks better as well. I'm not going to be doing any extreme hauling with this on a daily basis, but it will be used for leaves and firewood delivery as well as an occassional mulch drop-off or very light stonework that i do.

I'm not scared to try something new.

4. Harley58

Harley58 LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Use the lightest gauge steel you can. You never know what you'll end up having to haul down the road. Steel will give you peace of mind. JMO

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

New Haven Body in North Haven fabricates beds. Not sure how far that is from Ridgefield.

6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

BSDeality i have never tried to weld aluminum but i have heard that it can be challenging and it is also costly but hey give it a try and tell us how it goes

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You can weld aluminum with either a mig or a tig, although tig is a little better.