Making backpack blowers quiet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yardworks, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I have 2 Redmax eb6300(I think thats the model number)and one Husq.(don't know spelling) They all have one thing in common. Extremely noisy. I have started using the blowers for snow removal on light snows and have had a few clients some what jokingly ask , "I have to listen to that racket all summer and now in the winter too?" Well that got me thinking. Is there any after market muffling device to put on these things to quiet them down. They are pretty annoying after hours and hours of that high pitch whinning. You would think with all our technology some one could come up with a way to quiet these things down. I would be able to use them a lot more for snow removal if they were. Most times I start plowing at about 1:00 to 2:00 AM, but I don't start using blowers until 6 or 7 AM because of the noise. It would be very nice to cut down on noise in the summer also. Maybe there already is an answer to my problem. If so if anyone knows of one, I would greatly appreciate any info.
  2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sure if I have the answer to your question but some suggestions I have come across include:
    1. moving to small 4 stroke or hybrid 2 stroke/4 stroke engines. Shindaiwa and Stihl are bringing out the latter engine this year. Don't know if it will be for blowers.
    2. Perhaps changing the fan in the blower from steel/metal to a softer nylon material like Billy Goat uses in their blowers.
    3. Lining the inside with some sort of sound deading material.

Whatever the solution, it better come soon since by 2005, legislation will take effect that will in essence eliminate the 2 stroke engine in its current state.