Making better time in the summer????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just wanted to start a thread on spring vs summer and the time you can save when the grass growth is not so heavy.

Is anyone saving alot of time now that the rain has let up?? I didn't think it was possible to shave much time off my props but I am cutting my times by 30-50 % in some cases. It seems like I am saving the time on props cut with WB, and the ZTR cut props are staying about the same.

Anyone have similar experiences?

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am not having to double cut anymore so that is saving me a lot of time. I wish it would rain a little more frequently but at least the grass is still green and growing.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

My lawns have also been very manageable lately. We have definitely been faster.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The strange thing is I can see cutting your time in half if you were double cutting but I wasn't doing that. I guess the time savings for me is less bagging, trimming, edging, and blowing. It still seems impossible to me to cut a 2 hour prop (in spring) down to 1 hour in the summer, but thats what has happened for me.
    I would like to take on some new props to fill my new found time, but I fear I will have to let some go next spring or I wont be able to get it all done.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It hasn't really let up here with the rain, yet. Things usually go faster in the summer, less trimming, blowing, double cutting to do.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its worse now than its been all year. Bermuda and zoysia love heat and rain...and have they been getting tons of both.:cry:
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

same hasn't let up
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm near Annapolis and nothing's getting any easier here. It's just like May.
  9. It's like Richard Martin said, still spring like here too.
    Some customers should go back on a 5 day schedule instead of 7.
    The lawns are a little bit thinner, but still just as tall.
    I've never seen an August like this and I've been full time for nearly 20 years. This is going to be my best season ever!
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

These are supposed to be the "dog days" of summer. Yeah right. It rains here almost every day. Spring growth conditions and then some. I cut at 3.5 and 7 days later it looks like I haven't cut in 2 weeks. I'm afraid to lower the cut because I don't know if/when the rain will just stop and if/when the grass will go into dormancy. I could have been doing a lot of seeding if I had known the rains would be like they have been. Anyone know where I can get a good crystal ball? BTW, I'm not complaining. It's SOOOOO much better than last year, remember last year?