1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making green going green!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

GREEN is the big thing in the news these days. Without getting off on an Al Gore tangent or Global Warming, what ways could you make changes in your company and how could you promote this to your clients?
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

How about carbon offsets. All those soccer moms stop driving their big Expeditions around so I can get cheaper gas for my work truck.
  3. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

So how about what you can do and promote?
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Here's the funny answer.

Keep them bare foot and pregnant at home!:dizzy:

Serious answer.

Get the homeowner to plant trees for shade so the air conditioner doesn't run as much. Also add irrigation to cut down on water use.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well considering "going green" is total junk... I'm not going to jump on some stupid trend. The republicans have all the money anyway...
  6. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

run biodeisal in your ztr ... or E85 ... thats really the main way.
    take all the oil from all the fast food joints, filter it, and run it in your deisal ztr and truck.

then put a big thing in your ads about your compay doing that .. bet you could even get on the news for it. include info on how polutting small engines are.. i think ive read that small engines produce truely massive amounts of pollutants .. and how your working hard to do the right thing.
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Your target audience would be liberal elitist that drive hybrid hondas... I just don't think these people are the ones making the money...
  8. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

I would hardly say Al Gore is going broke...

If you're looking for ways to go green, add a solar panel or two to your shop, it's not tons, but people will look at it and think that it's good. GM offers a hybrid sierra, but it's only available on the 1500 so that might be out if you need a larger truck.
  9. herb900

herb900 LawnSite Member

Has any of you looked at or are running on propane. A company, i think their named envirogaurd, sells retrofitted encores or you can change over your current mower for about 1500-2000. They claim about 1/3 fuel cost, and 8000 times cleaner burn. Sounds interesting. We're thinking about converting for our next mower.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can see propane, if for no other reason than so long not everyone's doing it, I suppose the early bird gets the worm applies here.

Because all these alternate fuels are all fine and dandy until you need to supply the equivalent of 100 million barrels of crude per day, then all of a sudden the cold, hard truth starts to dawn... Just look at what's happening with corn-based ethanol, the price of solar panels is WOW thou they are neat things to play with, hybrids are simply not cost effective at all, where do we go next...?

Then again if an entire nation were to make a concerned effort towards a technology, first it might become affordable, next it might be produceable in solid enough quantities without turning the rest of the world upside down, but generally speaking I don't see the concern...

It's something to explore, I'm all for that, much beyond this it gets to be a drain I can't tolerate.