Making it cutter friendly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 21, 2008.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Who doesn't hate being hit in the head or stabbed in the back by branches?
    How many of you go around in the early start of the season before grass cutting, to rid your properties of hazard limbs? Not only does it make it easier for cutting, it's a great add on for some additional $$$'s in a slow month.
    Who else does this?
    Matt

IMG_3087.JPG

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

ummm where are you blowing the chips to??!

3. 1MajorTom

Is that a stupid question or not.... i'm gonna blow them in a neighbors yard. I thought that was what everyone does. I'm gonna aim it at a flower bed.. free mulch.

Now seriously, I aim the deflector towards the center of the bed and chip away. You can fill a whole truck bed that way, with minimal chips and dust on the road. Then broom up the road quickly.
    That debris there equalled about 4 wheelbarrows of chips.
    Matt

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering. I know the chipper we have would hit the bed and fly out.. Leaving almost all of it in the road. Ours is a 12" Whipper though, doesn't look like yours is much bigger than a 6"? That would make a big difference lol:usflag:

5. 1MajorTom

You are correct. It is a 6" chipper powered by a 25 hp engine. It blows out at just the right velocity that the chips stay contained.
    Matt

6. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

On some of my good paying customers ill trim the low tree branches that stab,stick & poke me while im mowing for free just to get them out of my way and the customer thinks im going the extra mile for them... Cant be to bad doing it for free it's got me more work because of it....

7. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

I make it mandatoty for any limbs on certain trees (pin oak, maple etc.) to have a canopy of at least 5 ft