Making it in massachusetts!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawn king, Jun 18, 2006.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Once again we have been forced into extremes. Some of you may recall we installed fuel (diesel) at our shop in feb 2005. That has worked out well and saved us lots of time and money. Now we are going to purchase a tiger screen to mix/screen our own loam. The going price in this area for compose enhanced loam is $36. per cubic yard. No thankx, i will mix for our own use and provide a high quality product, with the loam profits coming back to us! If you are thinking of going into the green industry in Ma. you are crazy!

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

NIce!!! can you post a picture of the screener for us to view? thanks in advance~~~

3. lawn king

I will post a picture when it arrives. Its used but in good shape, not much to look at. Its a small unit set up with 1/2 inch screen. The small screen is a slower process but the end result is amazing. Im only looking to process for our own use, 250-300 yards per season. The beauty of the small screen is you finish rake & hydroseed, no need to rake out any stone!

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

1/2" is all I buy now. I used to buy the cheap crap that you had to spend tons of hours of labor to get to a seed-prep status. Now I spend the extra $8/yd and get the black gold that requires no picking through.

Good luck with your investment, i'm sure it will pay off in no time.

5. lawn king

I can remember when screened loam was $12. per yard and it was as good as, if not better than the stuff we are paying $36. for today!

6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

My supplier must have a big screener that is fine... hes brings us dirt that is almost sand it is so good no pebles, rocks or anything of such and we buy it 60 to 80 yards at a time at points if we are doing a lot of construction on the golf course. Price isnt bad... the number 1 reason we go with him is becuase his service can not be beat... always has it to us with in a day no matter how busy he is. I hope you post osme pictures of yours and any other equipment you may have ...looks like you got some nice toys!!!