1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Making it through the winter

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rjaq, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Rjaq

Rjaq LawnSite Member

I've just started my business and I was lucky enough to do it right with good equipment and trailer. (Shindaiwa trimmers and a Ferris 1000) My problem is I've started in the middle of the season I've lost a few good business months. How do you guys make it through the winter season to keep the business going to next busy season. Any suggestions are appreciated

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope for a good fall season, not sure what kinda weather you have down there in TX during fall, but up North we make a killing in the fall with clean-ups. Also look into doing odd jobs for your customers in the winter, alot of my customers would rather pay me than to hire someone else.

In the winter I do:

1) Snow Removal

2) Clean-out basements, garages for my customers ( or their families ) you get the picture.

3) Put Up Holiday Lights

4) Gutter Cleaning ( weather permitting ) a money maker

Hope this helps

3. Rjaq

Rjaq LawnSite Member

Thanks for that info ,but it really doesn't apply to me down here in the tip of texas. Our winters are mild, but I like the holiday light idea

4. MiracleMan

MiracleMan LawnSite Member

We have year round contracts. Their payments are pro-rated over the course of their contract so we receive the same amount no matter what time of the year it is. In the winter, and our winter is short lived - usually Nov-Feb., we also do clean-ups, leaf raking and some wood fencing and decks. However, the biggie is ... LABOR costs are WAAAY down!
    The winter is when I keep most of my money AND I get to spend more time with the family.

5. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

How much do you usually get for those types of Winter jobs? BTW, great suggestions, EastProLawn. It is a perfect idea here in Chicago!
    Thanks

6. EastProLawn

Depends on the job.

basement cleaning I charge $25 per hr and dumping fees if there is any dumping involved. ( usually put trash out in front of house )

Holiday lights: Depends on size of house ( 1 level, 2 level etc. )
    but on average, we charge 40 cents per foot of lights. If we put light on any trees we charge by the tree.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

love the snow, take the winther off and go racing./.....

8. N4PSN

N4PSN LawnSite Member

What is the going rate for gutter cleaning? I also need the winter jobs.

9. EastProLawn

Depends. Up here in RI, we charge $10.00 for every 15 ft. of gutter, I learned this from a professional gutter company and this formula has not failed yet.
    Just round off any figures that don't work out correctly.
    Example 100 ft = $70 ( 100 divided by 15= 6.6 )
    Hope this helps.