1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

making lawn crew work weekends?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 94gt331, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSmith

SSmith Banned

You pay 2 guys and yourself for only 60 yards? I aint buyin it.

And these guys are lazy. 1 guy can do 60 by himself in a week.

2. FBT

FBT LawnSite Member

Start the mowing route on Monday, have it done by Thursday night. If they don't have a clean trip, they can finish Friday before noon and then start the side work.

3. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I have thought, I wonder if it's practical. I know what it takes me time wise to finish a day. Let's say just for easy math it takes me 5 hours to do 10 lawns that particular day. So my crew then gets paid 5 hours for the day and maybe I give them an extra hour for things that come up. If they go over, that's on them. If they get done in 5 I still pay them for 6

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

As long as they don't work 7 hrs and paid for 6 all looks good.

5. FBT

FBT LawnSite Member

Sorry but the real world doesn't work like that.

6. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

When I was mowing, my guys had to fill out a log sheet every day. Time in/out. The daily log had all the jobs that needed to be done for the day. They were expected to get the days work done. They always got the work done. If they were slow to return on a day, I would look at the log sheet and see where they slacked and bust balls. Now I sub all my mowing out and do landscaping, yet I still have my sub fill out thee log sheet. It has helped my sub be more productive, because we discuss the times and I help him to speed up the production by giving suggestion on how to be more productive on a jobsite, ie: continuos trimming or same person does the same job on the same property each week. It makes a differance. And I expect Quality on every job, or they're gone.

7. cwc257

cwc257 LawnSite Member

If you and one worker can get all of the mowing done in a 5 day week then there is no reason your crew can't be finished on Friday. Give them a route list for each day, If you have to, order the list from 1st job to last job to eliminate any extra drive time. They should know that each day they have to finish that route or they will have to finish it the next day plus that days route. I also like the idea of having them write down their start and stop time on each property that way you will be able to see any inconsistancies as to why it took them an extra 15 mins from the time they stop on one property to start of the next when you know it is only 5 mins down the street. Make them be accountable for their time management. Plus, by having them write it down they will be more aware of how much time they are wasting and what you are expecting of them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem I see about employees writing down there time in/out is who is to say that is the actually time they got there and left. I would put some kind of gps on the trucks so you could track where they are and where they have been. Do not tell them it is on there and monitor it for a week or two and you will find out real quick what they are up to when you are not watching. May cost a few bucks but in the long run will save so much time it would be well worth the investment.

9. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

:rolleyes: what ever do you mean Charles?

10. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I've given this a lot of thought.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I think it could work.

This way the employees have some skin in the game and an incentive to keep their axxes in gear versus fritzing off and running up the clock.

An incredible amount of time can be peed away by employees in a days time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.