making lawn crew work weekends?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 94gt331, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Some people have families and personal plans...I enjoy working the occasional Saturday, but I've really been appreciating my time off recently.
  2. LawnSite Member
    from Earth

I am on the lake Saturday with a cooler full of beer. My wife and daughter are on my Mastercraft with me and my Parents are on the tooner. I want to kill myself if I am working on sat. Sunday is just off limits. To the fella calling bs on my last comment. I could care leas if u believe me. All 135 are in 7 square miles. My 3 yr old truck has 19000 miles. I refuse to drive all over timbucktwo to cut. Work to live, not live to work.. some lawn companies have business plans that should of been burned before it was wrote. Most are out doing foolish things from a business stand point all week. Tom is Saturday, guess who will hanging with family and friends........
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

this post has gotten pretty off track. The guys deffinately make me enough profit off the lawns each week, doesn't make me rich or anything but pays the bills and puts alittle money in the bank. I'm basically saying when there is a holliday or a rain day during the week and they don't have enough time to finish mon- thru friday so saturdays come around they could finish the mowing list, they still want off to go have fun i guess. But that would allways put me in a jam because i work 6-7 days a week landscaping and i just don't have the time right now to mow on saturdays because of my mowing guys wanting off. So i basically made a rule to my 2 guys that they have to work weekend's to make up for days that where missed during the week etc. They do a pretty good job quality wise also, and normally mow 60-70 lawns in 4 days. I wrote this post to see how other LCO's handled the same situation.Thanks for all the coments
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

You have very unproductive guys then! Obviously I don't know what you cut, but 5 guys should be able to do more than that IMO!!
  5. FBT

FBT LawnSite Member

If you're on a lake on a Saturday with a cooler full of beer during the busiest time of year for a landscaper, where are you in January and Febuary?
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

No, you don't know what I cut. You don't know what anybody else there's no reason for anybody to say "you should be cutting x number of lawns a day or you suck." That's an ignorant statement, unless you're intimately familiar with somebody else's operation, which I doubt is the case.

Tomorrow, in fact...we're a day behind because of the holiday. We have 9 guys going out on one property and should be done about noon. I guess we're unproductive though...nine guys should be able to bang out 100 properties in 5 hours.
  7. thank you, this has really been some entertaining reading, but some of you aint got a clue or your psychic.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Then don't comment on what they should or shouldn't be able to cut.

What if each property is 100 acres?

It's absolutely amazing the people who get into this business. :dizzy:

Ain't that the truth.

Some of these posts\comments bring me back to the days of PS before a certain thing happened. So, in the interest of keeping my account open, I won't say what really needs to be said to some of you who have all the answers on how many properties a crew should get done in a day or week. :hammerhead:
  9. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

So you're saying the man shouldn't enjoy family time?

Like the man said, work to live not live to work!
    If that aint working out for you........... work smarter.

I've worked the last 4 saturdays in a row and the last two sundays.
    I'm working today to get two sprinkler systems back in operation, but have projects around the house to take care of tomorrow (sunday).
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

That is true! Your body and mind needs a good balance of work and relaxation. Stress leads to all kinds of health problems
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.