making money in winter?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jeremiahbabb, May 18, 2003.

1. jeremiahbabb

jeremiahbabb LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what you guys do to keep making money in the winter when the growth rate on grass slows down. The region I live in (South Carolina) doesnt get enough snow to make a lot of money off of snow plowing. This is my first year going at it as a real full-time business, and I'm afraid that when the winter gets here I wont be able to support my family... Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Where I'm at mowing season never really ends. It does slow down in Dec. and Jan. though. Invest in some good leaf removal gear and that should make you some $ in the slow season. Also, try and put your customers on monthly payments. You can pro-rate it over the course of 12 months. That's what I do. In the winter I only work 1/3 as much as I do in the summer but I make the same money. I can't wait for winter to get here!:p

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

leaf removal

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

This is what we do:

Jan-April: Snow Removal
    March-April: Spring Clean ups, tree pruning, first application of fertilizer, start mowing
    April-November- The season begins: Mowing, and other LCO stuff
    October-December-Fall Clean up
    December- very little snow removal