1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making money off the ice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Dec 8, 2002.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Im in North Carolina and was wondering if any of you have advertised for cleanups after the ice storms?
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a bad one in South Jersey years ago.Alot of birch trees leaned over (never to recover) and had to be removed. We also had a lot of clean-up of downed branches, etc. We charged by the hour for clean-up. Many clients wanted wood cut, split & stacked. Others just want it cleaned up and hauled away. Get a few good saws, possibly look to rent a chipper if there's enough call for it. I'm sure your regular clientele will call you for this type of work.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No me!!! :nono:

I haven't did much since the storm. But I have plenty of mess to clean up after all the snow leaves. Do you not have enough accounts to clean up to keep you busy a while?

I don't mind the cleanup of the smaller stuff for non-customers. When we start talking entire trees down, that ain't my cup of tea right now. I have enough small stuff and leaf cleanups to do me fine.

Have many Bradford Pears with the only the trunk still standing?
    Several here without a top or limb left on them :(
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a great time to make money. It's going to be a mess and someone has to clean it up. I wouldn't suggest ripping people off though. This is going to be a tough time for alot of people.
  5. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I just got done w/ the same thing last winter here, we had an ice storm at the first of February and the electric crews are still today working on new and replacement lines, anyways I did get in on the cleanup a Flordia based company got the contract to cleanup the county I live in they did bring in some 20 large trucks and hired local contractors also, you did have to meet certain requirements insurance and equipment wise, I had 2 trucks and a Bobcat w/ industrial grapplers and made a very good amount of money. I even thought about coming out but I will proably stay here and take care of the little bit of snow we are getting.
  6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

no need to advertise!!! if your name is in the book you are backlogged!! 4 days since the storm and we have quoted 21,000 dollars in work. we already have 11,000 confirmed. the others are waiting on insurance adjusters... guys if you dont have enough work you may wanna come to nc. for a while. here are some of the figures. first we are in a state of emergency, there is 1.5 millon people without power, there are 30,000 electric crew members from 15 different states either in or headed to nc. local news says the governers office projects cleanup cost will exceed a billon dollars.....
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you know what you are doing when cutting trees and you have insurance for it. One wrong cut could send that tree into the house and costing you thousands of dollars.
  8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

No ice on the trees up here, just on the lakes. Just got back from killin' a couple dozen bluegills!:D
  9. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

Or onto your or your employee's head.
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

A lot of money can be made off of ice cleanups. Most are always covered under the homeowners insurance policy, so it doesn't come out of their pocket.