Making mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shane Nelson, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

Does anyone use there own brush to make mulch

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that want to stay in business long. Very bad practice!

3. poghead

poghead LawnSite Member

No not with brush, but I did a bed clean out that was full of pine bark nuggets,took the pine bark home with me. Next day I ran all the nuggets through my chipper/shredder just to see what would come out. I turned out some real fine soil amendment. It would have taken me more time to take it to the dump than what it took to run through the chipper.

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We made a few thousand yards this spring. Our brush pile was getting pretty large (on about 2/3 of an acre about 12 feet high). We cleaned it (Rake on an excavator) then ran the stumps, logs, and brush through a CBI Magnum Force horizontal grinder. It made pretty large chunks. Now it is 'aging'. It had already 'aged' in the brush pile for a couple of years, so it is nice and dark. It isn't bark, but as it rots it looks nicer and nicer. I ran a few hundred yards through a 3/4" trommel. That product is good enough to use along woodlines, or industrial sites. Next we will flip the pile that I haven't screened in order to accelerate the aging. Then we will run the stuff through a tub grinder for a 're-grind' with screens on the output of the tub to produce a finished product. By then I'll be able to use it, or sell it pretty cheap.

Costs a lot when you look at the numbers to rent the equipment, but when the piles are produced you can look at the volume of the aggregate you have and determine how much to sell it for in order to profit or at least break even. At break even point you've beat the dump charges and have a useable product. If you really let it rot for a while, or mix it with some compost it makes a good product to make raised beds.

I think it is a good idea to recycle in this manner.