Making my business legit. Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Nov 14, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I went through my first season without being legal. I did not know it untill I found out on this site and because its not legal, I havent advertised for fall work yet.
    I know I have to get the business license and tax I/D number and a checking account under the businesses name.
    My problem: I got the name registered. My mom went downtown and registered it but she registered it under my dads name.
    Now, Does the name have to be registered in my name for me to carry on with the next steps? Or is it enough that it is registered by someone in the family? Does it make it my business or will my dad be the legal owner if I leave it this way?

Also, Can you legally ad words and phrases describing you business such as Landscape managment, Lawn care services and so on..... Or do you have to register it when you register the name?

2. stevenf

Anyone have any info on this?

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I know a lot of guys on here scream about lic but many times if you are a sole propietor of a lawn business you do not need a business lic through the state Your social Security number is you tax id number for IRS purposes. However in your local city/town you may need a bus lic through the city. As far as registed business name it is a good idea but not needed to be legal. what is needed is to be in compliance with local and state goverment.

Let me give you a couple of examples of what I am talking about. While I was living in Texas I lived in Lubbock. The city required that I have a business lic however the state did not so I obtained one through the city.

Later I moved to Kilgore, Texas with a the same type of business and I was not required to have a business lic at all.

Now I live in Craig,Co and I am going back into business on the side. .Again the state does not require a sole proprietor of a landscape maintence company to have a business lic. But they do require a Pestacide/Herbicide lic to apply even fertilizer. So last month I obtained this lic and now I am completely legal. the only lic's I hold are DL and my pesticide lic.

in evry case I cary commerical insurance. for liability and vehicle. Do not let some of these guys who think they know it all scare you. They are just very upset with those who take money under the table, and are not responsible enough to make sure they are legit. To be quite honest I am to.

Pay taxes, pay insurance, keep required lic's and keep your nose clean and you will be just fine.

4. stevenf

ok, I will be working at thoughs within the next few weeks.
    What about the name? Its registered in my dads name. Should I get a name registered under my name or can I use this on since my dad owns it?
    Any problems it can cause, do I need one for myself...........???