1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making my own striper kit

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KstateCutter, Jun 10, 2007.

1. KstateCutter

KstateCutter LawnSite Member

I have a wright stander 36. I feel like I need to drag something on the back to improve the striping. This is my first year of operation and cash flows are slim right now so I can't just go buy a striper kit. How do I build one? Where do I attach it to the mower? Do I need to make sure I can raise it off the ground? What other things should I consider? How have your striper kits turned out?

I am thinking about filling a piece of PVC with sand and figuring some way to attach that to the back of the mower with angle iron and using pins so i can disengage it. Any advice is appreciated.
  2. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the exact same situation! Hope to get some great responses. I noticed you live in the OP too, what areas do you work in most?
  3. KstateCutter

KstateCutter LawnSite Member

Mostly between 95th and 135th and Quivera and Roe. I've got a couple beyond that too. What about you?

I fashioned a prototype this evening using a 36" piece of 1 1/2" PVC filled with sand. I haven't got it just right yet but if I get it I'll let you know.
  4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

If the sand doesn't work you may want to try concrete or fishing weights

do you have any pics?

how do you plan on attaching to your mower?
  5. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

ya i really want to make one for my 21" toro thats 10 years old i think it would look tight but you know the little plastick thing that moves around on the back i was thinking that i could put some type of bending bar thing that pushes that down harder but will shape to the ground somewhat i dn
  6. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a really stiff and heavy duty thick rubber mudflap for a truck and I have it bolted to the bottom of the mower between the wheels on a 52" bobcat rider. I have it hanger about 1/4 inch from the ground. works like a charm.
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post some pics?

8. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member