Making new beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TPS, May 4, 2008.

1. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey guys, whats the proper process for making new mulch beds in the lawn? I dont have a bed shaper so they will be done by hand. I just need to make 2 new tree rings. No big deal. But what do you about the grass? Would turning it into the soil do the trick or should I dig it up? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

use a spade shovel to define your edge, then scoop the grass on the inside and throw it into your mulch pile.

3. TPS

from NJ

So the grass will not grow through the mulch? The new mulch will be about 3" thick, but I dont want to have to weed the beds everytime I go to cut the lawn.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We use a sod cutter to remove the bulk of it, then define the edges with a bedscaper, clean up any leftover sod scraps, and you've got a new bed with no weeds or grass. We then put in any plantings and water them in. Snapshot and mulch and you're done.

5. TPS

from NJ

Thanks. No sod cutter, so I'll probably just dig out the grass. Then put the mulch down. Thanks

6. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Definitely remove the Grass and weeds or they will grow back through the mulch. That is the professional way then use a flat shovel to edge.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

He means "grass mulch" debris pile, dont leave it there. Its the easiest way. Sometimes with the roots you cant get it all, so we chop at it until we can get rid of most of the grass there.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the size of the root mass, of the tree, you may not want to dig in. Roundup everything. place your edging on top of the ground and fill with 3-4 inches of mulch.
    Somethin' to think about.

9. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

opps i ment "throw the gras scraps into your compost pile"

10. TPS

from NJ

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill edge first then turn the grass and pull the clumps. Then add 3"-4" of mulch.