Making Seed Match Sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GravelyGuy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a customer that has an established bluegrass yard and sod was used. Last year she had some kind of foreign grass creep in and it has taken over a small 5'x3' area. I was going to kill off the area with a glyphosate product and patch the area.

Will I be able to make seed match eventually or should I use a roll of sod to patch the area? This property is absolutely perfect and these people are very anal so I have to be sure this turns out okay.

Thanks for the help!

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Know your weed before you attempt to control it.

3. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

what Kiril said. Have you tried to ID the "foreign grass" yet to see what you're dealing with?

Any chance of finding out where the sod came from? If so maybe you can contact them to see if you can get some from them to do a patch, or at least find out what seed they used so you can try to match it.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

ditto, know your pest first, hopefully you are licensed to do chemicals. try to find the sod grower to match, can be hard to do though.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You will have better luck matching the existing grass with sod as opposed to seed (only use Kentucky bluegrass seed). If they are like the picky anal customers I have had they will not tolerate waiting for seed to fill in. Even if you get sod from the original supplier there could be slight variations in color from year to year due to the grower changing varieties of KBG.

6. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about your "foreign grass" - any chance it is lighter green with a white "flower" on top? Whatever it is, spray with Round Up Quick Pro (assuming you are licensed) wait 7 days and lay your sod. It will be cheaper in the long run to lay sod then trying to grow seed - a lot less headaches as well.