making the price look appealing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when doing a full service estimate, do you ever quote a monthly fee, without giving a breakdown? i quoted a neighbor of a client last week a monthly fee, without going into a breakdown, and he jumped on it. somehow it seemed more appealing to him than if i would have gone thru the breakdown.....$38 per mow, $400 for fall cleanup, $400 for ferts....etc, that way sounds expensive. i notice car dealers in the sunday paper quote the car as " ONLY $269 PER MONTH" rather than, "$29,000". $269 won't give you the initial shock that $29,000 will give you. anyhow, i'm giving a quote later today. there's gonna be alot. bedwork/maint, seasonal flowers, spring and fall cleanups, mulching of beds, trimming shrubbery, weekly mowing, fert program. i'm going to try NOT providing a breakdown, unless of course she asks for one. i don't think i need to let her know i'm charging $45 for a $7 flat of begonias. or $75 to weed n feed her 4k property. any thoughts?

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Or you could look around and whisper "Don't tell your neighbors, it's only going to cost you $800 a month" like she's getting the deal of the century.

3. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

I think you can do this....as we attempt to do exactly the same thing. However, they always want to know what they are buying/paying for. You'll have to itemize how much and how often you will be doing everything. However, you don't have to tell them the specific costs of each item.

4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Non-Specific Itemization with sugar sprinkles

5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I never give a breakdown of prices. Just give them a list of services and monthly price.

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Never give a breakdown. Like you said, it's none of their bussines. If they saw a breakdown they'd be questioning every price. I just list the total services and when what will be done with a monthly price.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly... then they will want to cut $5.00 here and $ 10.00 there. Why do the legwork for them(homeowners) to hand your itemized quote to Johnny Scrubbs to "beat"..lol for 10.00 cheaper. I give a total of service and materials, broken into ten monthly payments for service contracts, and an itemized, non-specific item list , and total labor price for installs and such

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LMAO :) That is too funy

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Giving a quote of $x per month works as long as they keep you for the whole year. It wouldn't work if You do the spring cleanup, fert app, mulch install, and then they dump you. Your price per month spreads these more expensive service out over the entire year.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

If you itemize your bid it will tend to give the buyer a reason to shop. Its very easy to take a itemized bid to another LCO and have them give a lower quote. If it is just a total rate for the job with a list of what will be done, it is not as easy for the other guy or your buyer.