Making the switch from Exmark to Gravley

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 10, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was at another dealer today ordering our Downeaster dump bed. I've been in there before and loved it, wall to wall lawn care and landscaping supplies!:dizzy: I started talking to the owner about our most recent purchase we wanted to buy (a Exmark Lazer HP) I told him the price (8250.00) he about fell over! He showed me a Gravley in a 52" with a 23hp Kawi and gave me a price of 6899.00, thats a huge savings IMO. The quality seems to be as Exmark, Scagg, ect. Just wondering if anyone else is using Gravley's and how are they holding up.

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

is that price for the gravely 152 or 252. I think you might be able to get a 252 for that price and it is a much better machine.

I have the 260 and love it minus a few problems I had in the begining, but all is good now.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know anything about Gravley but your Exmark dealer seems high to me. I paid less than that for my 27 hp 60" Lazer. Prices seem to vary greatly from dealer to dealer and in different parts of the country. The North East always seems to be the highest.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

It seems high to me as well, Ive asked him 3 times about that price and each time its the same. Ive seen a few different prices but the Lazer HP seems to be rare and that makes it tough to compare prices.

5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

That price is to high IMO, but id'e stay with an eXmark. Gravley is just not the same machine.

6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I paid 6900.00 for my 52"Scag tiger cub with 24hp honda, plus the mulch kit. But that was 3 years ago.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 250Z, with the 23 Kawasaki and have about 700 hoiurs on it. I've been quite happy with the machine. Mine has the hydraulic lift, which I would find hard to do without now that I'm accustomed to using it. They went to the 52 inch deck the year after mine was made.

8. Kuhndog

Kuhndog LawnSite Member

I run a Gravely 260Z, 25 Kaw. along with their 1748 hydro walk behind with the pro-steer. Have been very pleased with both. I love the hydrolic deck lift with the 260! Both machines have served me very well and in my opinion are quality machines.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a '06 260Z w/ a 27hp Kohler for $8,000. All other dealers around wanted $9,200 and up. I've only got a few hours on it but I love it. The hydro deck lift is sweet. If that price is for the new 252 xdz then thats a good buy I was quoted $7299 here.
    To mowman16 I looked at several mowers and demoed them before I bought mine and I will gladly put my gravely up against your exmark anyday of the week.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my 260Z in August of 2003. I bought my 36" hydro walk-behind in March of 2005. I'm now looking to switch to Exmark, at least with my 260Z. I love everything about Gravely except one thing, quality of cut. Before I used the Ultracut I didn't think Gravely was all that bad, which it's not, but the Ultracut is so much better. It can go through tall, thick grass faster and cleaner than the Air-flow deck of Gravely. I suggest staying with Exmark unless you don't find to be true with cut quality after demoing Gravely. Maybe Gravely's newer deck designs are an improvement over mine. Get a demo. Gravely might be cheaper and very solidly built, but I think Exmark has them beat on the thing that I think matters most, cut quality.