Making the switch From mowing lawns to landscaping.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Matt .B, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Matt .B

Matt .B LawnSite Member

I have a lawn care business in SE wisconsin. Its about 10 years old now. I have 4 seasonal employees and 1 full time. We mow about 80 lawns a week and do a decent amount of bed shaping and putting down bark. I do very little landscaping now. I want to get into more of it. I just want to know what is the best way to get into it? How do i go about getting more landscape custumers?
    thanks

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Being that you are in Wisconson I would wait until late winter and then start advertising for spring and summer jobs. Start with your regular customers. Suggest some improvements they could make to their property. Don't make a huge investment until you see what jobs you can bring in. Once you land a few jobs you will have more referalls then you can handle.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt,
    When mailing your contracts this year, include a cover page listing all services you provide. Also, incude a note for clints to cntact you regardng spring mulching and landscapingas you must alow time toscheduleand figure mnpower needed to acquire. You'll be surprised at the amount of work you get from existing clients. Then as metioned before, the more you do, the more you get by referrals and such. Also, a good site sign always helps.

Bob