1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making Tree Rings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marcusvh, Sep 26, 2001.

1. marcusvh

marcusvh LawnSite Member

Does anyone have advice or shortcuts to making tree rings? I'm just using a shovel every couple of months, and can't help thinking there has to be a better way.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A bed edger is the way to go, but at about 2 grand, you have to do alot of trees and beds. Once you have the initial edge made, a regular edger works rather well. When I first started, (a long time ago) for large area trees, I used to use a half-moon spade that's just for bed edges, tie a rope around the tree and around the spade, and go around like a compass. This helped me get a perfect circle.
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea Runner, we just use to eye it up and fix what needed to be fixed. The bed edgers are great, but like you said there expensive. Then again if we add up all the rental fees from this year i could have darn near bought one, im sure of it. If we dont have over 200 feet we just use the small sharp square shovel, and it works quite well when the edge is first cut with a stick edger.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you use a small flat spade, have you seen one of these half round pendulum shaped flat spades I am talking about? They are a bit wider cutlength-wise, and have a full length handle on them. Real easy to use. Something to consider, I guess.
  5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Actually Runner, yes, i have seen one before but i actually never thought of giving it a try, if it works that good i will purchase one and give it a whirl!! Thanks
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

course u could put a free turning band at tree base.
    attatch it to your edger w rope at the proper length and play ring around the roses.um nah later yaw
  7. We use the weed eater and hold the string so its at a 90 degree angle and keep them cleaned up with that. Do it about every 3rd time we trim. Works well.

Also use a Brown MFG bed edger for when we put mulch out.

8. marcusvh

marcusvh LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me a company that makes bed edgers? Not that I can afford one, mind you, but research is free. How does a bed edger work differently than a blade (or stick) edger and why are they so darn expensive? Think I'll stick with a curved shovel and play ring around the tree for awhile.

9. Nick

Nick Banned

Ez trencher makes a few and I think they are around 1500. Rented one from home depot that had an 8 horse honda on it. Awsome machine

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member