making up missed cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 24, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, what do u folks do in this situation: u cut xyz street on fridays, it rains fri, sat, sun. do u cut xyz street on monday, and then return friday to get back on regular schedule? i have problems with the customers i charge "per cut", they either want me to forget monday and just get back on schedule friday(wich is bull s**t, cus then they want 2 weeks of growth cut for one weeks price), others seem to think that since we did this cut on monday, that i should now come there every monday instead of the usual friday. we dont have these problems with the customers that pay a flat seasonal price because they pay that same price either way, its our "per cut " customers that give us trouble on this. thanks

2. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

I'm sure many will disagree, but I mow it anyway. I usually cannot afford to get off schedule.
    I just mow it twice, fast, to pick up the leavings.

But I don't know how you shut the crybabies up.
    I'm still working on my patience.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

sorry to hear about your problem. i don't have this problem anymore i only charge a flat rate per month..., if these people are a pain in the rear drop them like a bad habit.peace

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If I get within 5 days of the regular cut (your Monday scenario is an example) I just wait until the next regular cutting date. It is not the customer's fault that you couldn't or wouldn't show up on the regular day.

5. Sure sounds like they're trying to get something for nothing. If the lawn needs cut cut it. If they're legitimately just trying to save a buck, give 'em a break. It'll build customer loyalty.

6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it's YOUR fault that it rains? I think we all have to live with nature. Work WITH nature. I think a reasonable surcharge for double cutting if it's needed would be acceptible. You didn't make the grass grow extra high.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

MOst of mine a per cut and I dont have a set day I have to be at anyone of there houses. NO way I could have that kind of schedule. Rains on friday I cut it on monday. Rains on monday I cut it on tuesday and so on. My customers know they can be moved around. No way would I wait and entire week just to keep them on that same day schedule.

8. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Sometimes this can be a problem. We use Saterdays to get back on schedule.My guys dont like it but it seems to work. It also helps to be flexible in scheduling.

Missing a cut or two is just one of the downfalls in dealing with mother-nature.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i myself will watch the weather and cut a day early if rains expected. i dont have three days i mow, but i know a lot of the local guys around here will mow right after the rain and then mow it again on their normal mowing day. the grass may not be as long, but no way can it wait 2 weeks. either way they are paying for 4 mowings a month.

10. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Do you guys never mow in the rain? I guess maybe it's just my area, but if I didn't mow in the rain sometimes, there are weeks at a time when I wouldn't be able to mow.

Seattle for ya...