1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Making Work more Fun?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This may be a weird question, but do you know how to make your work more enjoyable?

You see and hear it all the time that some guys love their work while others could care less, or are simply bored of it. So what about you? How can you make your lawn care business more fun for you, or your employees?

Inquiring minds want to know…
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Good attitude
    2. Have 2 of everything
    3. MP3 player with tons of tunes and studio quality in-ear headphones
    4. Imagine commuting to work for hours each day and dressing in a suit and having a dumb boss. Say to yourself "it's good to be the king".

There's more-but I'm pooped from shoveling snow and BS.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

VERY good description!!!
  4. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I already think mowing is fun but Peltors make it even more enjoyable:)
  5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Have to agree with above replies. In addition for employees pay them well and treat them fair. These two things often get overlooked. A happy employee is a hard working employee, and a more productive employee is more $$$ for you. More $$$ for you makes work much more enjoyable.
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Don't stress about getting all the work done. You have a schedule, you know you can complete it. If something happens and you can't finish the schedule, calm down. You can fit it in tomorrow.

So many guys I see running around pulling their hair out trying to do too many things at once. Usually these are the newer guys. The guys that have been doing this for awhile are getting the work done and enjoying themselves.
  7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember the last time:
    You took a lunch break at 10:30 AM
    Picked up your son or daughter from school and got to talk with them all the way home
    Went to one of your son or daughters awards assemblies in the middle of the day
    Saw an old friend and talked with them at your leisure
    Went home for lunch even though you knew it would take an hour out of your day
    Started your work day at 11:00 AM just because you felt like it.
    Then wonder how you would manage these things in your old job:cool2:
  8. tm ent.

tm ent. LawnSite Member

I agree with zturn. These are just a few of the reasons I do this.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Remeber the last time you rolled over in bed because it was pouring outside.

What other job can you work twice a month in the winter and make $3,000, cuz it snowed.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

every time i go tru the drive tru and see that things could be a lot worse-i could be a fast food worker!