MAKITA 4 Cycle Blower Model BHX2500

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by doctordun, Aug 29, 2007.

1. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Is this a decent blower for $200 at Home Depot?
    I prefer 4 cycle, just because I hate to mix.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Should work just fine for once a week at your house.

3. doctordun

from Texas

That bad, huh?

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure you wont still have to mix? My 4 stroke Stihls are mix engines...meaning, no oil sump.

5. doctordun

from Texas

That's what is says on the box. I just read the manual on line, and it has a sump to fill, with a dip stick just like a car.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Very interesting...wonder if Honda makes them? Whatever you do dont turn it upside down!

Quote from Manual on that particular blower: • If the engine is not kept upright, oil may go into around the engine, and may be refilled excessively.

A problem if you have a need to turn on side or pointed up or down. I would stay with a 2 stroke or 4 mix if I were you.

7. newz7151

from Tejas

No. You're buying it from Home Depot, so as long as you are just planning to use it for your own personal use around your home, almost anything bought at Home Depot might work good for your once a week use.

Now, if you want something that you're going to use for an hour or two practically every day of the week, then find a COMMERCIAL Outdoor Power equipment brand that is intended for that use.

8. doctordun

from Texas

It says that is commercial.
    What brand should I be looking for in a 4 cycle?

9. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Robin-Subaru makes a pretty decent 4 stroke blower... not as powerful as our Shindaiwa 2 strokes but not too bad. The Makita could very well be the same exact blower... I know Subaru has sold other items to Makita to sell as their brand before. John Deere also sold the subaru 4 stroke under their brand name.

10. newz7151

from Tejas

The majority of Makita stuff now is made by Dolmar. AS to whether Dolmar uses somebody else's engine, I wouldn't have that info.