Makita 5402NA...anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Jan 25, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We do a bunch of work every year with PT 6x6's. Weather its decorative landscape walls, edging a playground, or framing a parking pad.

Currently we cut them buy flipping the 6x6 over and over and cut it with our ciruclar saw. this gets to be a PITA...especially dealing with 16 footers and longer. Kinda heavy.

Anyway I found a saw that will cut these 6x6 in one pass...its a Makita 5402NA with a 16-1/4" blade that will cut up to 6" in one pass. Since 6x6 are 5.5x5.5". I'm thinking this will save a lot of labor when cutting and fitting these pieces.

Anyone have any experience with this power tool or anything similar?

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a chainsaw.

3. LB1234

I've tried that. Problem I have is when meeting up/butting against other 6x6s. Its tough to get a nice fit with the chainsaw due to the width of the blade and difficulty cutting at a true 90 degree angle. Its fine for deadman and and their cross pieces.

Its probably me not having a steady hand with the chainsaw. Perhaps a little more practice.

Thank you. :waving:

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the rental store here had one.. all of our new beach homes have to be raised, so most are built on 12X12's

a pass on each side will cut one, and they are great for notching the posts.

5. LB1234

thanks yardpro.

The model I described is around 600 new. I emailed an online store that claims they sell refurbished models for about 450 if I remember correctly. I would like to rent it first...I never thought of that for a hand tool. Thanks for the tip.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

now that you have reminded me of this saw, i have been wondering if you could get a diamond blade and use it to cut top caps, etc....

7. LB1234

I know its a 1" arbor I forget what the arbor is on the whacker cut-off saw. I don't know if I trust the life of this saw with all that extra dust. The cutoff saws at least have the added protection of air filters....but I know sometime it can be a pain to do straight 90 degree cuts.

Interesting thought though...not sure if the motor would have enough torque to cut spin the weight of a diamond blade through concrete.