Makita RBC251 trimmer Hard to Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeeee, May 8, 2006.

1. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

My Makita is hard to start. Runs/idles perfect. Just hard to start.
    New plug, checked arrestor (clean) Cleaned carb. I give! Any help would be greatly appreciated. New gas cap. Clean air filter. Coil maybe?

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem last year. Remove the carburator. Then you will find a "carb. gasket" (I can't remember the proper term) and replace it with a new one. You can get one @ the Makita Service Center - 1120 Elm Hill Pike, Suite 170. They cost less than $5.00. I haven't had a problem since - runs like a scalded chicken......:weightlifter: :usflag:

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

never saw a makita trimmer. dont they just do power tools?

4. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

The older ones (last year & older) have Robin engines & are very lightweight !!! :usflag:

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, it's a Robin. So were the Green Machines. I have a Robin and it's very lightweight and powerful.
    Anyway, I was gonna say the plug but, you said you changed it. When mine takes more than 3 pulls, I know it's about plug time. What about the fuel lines?

7. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

Thanks! I replaced gas lines and filter. I am going to Makita on Elm Hill pk. and pick up some gaskets. I think it is a diaphram gasket that I need which costs about 18 bucks but I am going to buy all of them just in case.