Makita String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to get some input on these trimmers. I looked at several the RBC251 has the splined end on solid steel one piece drive-shaft,24.5cc dry weight 9-lbs 67inch stright shaft, and seem to have a well build. Just wandered if any one has used the Makita trimmer? Would like your input thanks. Marks Mowing Service

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Was selling Makita trimmers straight shaft for $89 and Buyer's Gold 52" wb for $1999.

They're cheaper than homelite in cost thats all I know.

Kris

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mark, a couple years ago i won the "door prize" at a landscape supply event, it was a makita straight shaft weed wacker, was priced at $199, very nice wacker for the price. my friend has two of the same, he likes em too

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

As far as Sams and the 89 dollar price, the one i was intrested in was 359.00 there not cheap. They even make a four-stroke,that starts in the 400 dollar range.

5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i have used my makita for 2 seasons now (solo op)with only minor annoying problems,i think the plastic handle and switch is too flimsy (i have mine duct-taped already),now it's just getting a little hard to start.i have had friends who bought the makitas and had nothing but problems with the gear heads.they had workers who didn't use the string guard and spooled out too much line putting too much strain on the gears.i run the guard on mine and keep the head well greased.sams /home depot used to carry the makita now they don't.the only way i can get one now is from the main distribution warehouse and they want waaay too much$$$. i have since bought a used Shindawa and love it. much more quality made and has better balance.in my opinion,i would save my money to buy the Shindawa.or you can buy my old Makita -cheap!

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how cheap?